Old 12-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Warwick

In article ,
--- says...

"Warwick" wrote in message
news:MPG.1d660325b4d1131d9896a3@dalai...
My SIL in Worcester considers them weeds. Things that self seed like
they do and will add to the cottage feel of the borders here are
welcome.

So why can't I get the flipping things to grow? I can't even germinate
the seeds. Do I need to give them a 'winter' and freeze them? I'm not
*overly* enamoured of them as plants, but our 2 year old should find
them interesting. She already knows which of the sunflowers she planted.
(yes, some replanting happened earlier in the year after her bedtime).

Warwick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are many plants that will grow as weeds for some and impossible
for others. I cannot grow L.o.t.Valley. Others find it pushing through
their tarmac.
For a very young child, a potted grapefruit pip will sprout and flower
[one solitary bloom] in days. Spectacular and highly scented. Will not
flower again for many years. For an older child a peanut [not salted!!]
will make an interesting pot plant with yellow flowers that bury themselves
and make peanuts under the ground. Both will flourish on a windowsill.

Thanks for the grapefruit suggestion. Peanuts were already on my list of
interesting things for her in the greenhouse next year. On the citrus
I'm aware that the 2 foot high lemon tree from seed that is 3 years old
is unlikely to bear fruit in the next half a dozen years if ever, but it
is a nice plant with interesting glossy leaves so I'm not killing it off
just yet.

Regards

Warwick