Old 12-08-2005, 01:52 AM
Warwick

Default Honesty and Chinese lanterns

My SIL in Worcester considers them weeds. Things that self seed like
they do and will add to the cottage feel of the borders here are
welcome.

So why can't I get the flipping things to grow? I can't even germinate
the seeds. Do I need to give them a 'winter' and freeze them? I'm not
*overly* enamoured of them as plants, but our 2 year old should find
them interesting. She already knows which of the sunflowers she planted.
(yes, some replanting happened earlier in the year after her bedtime).

Warwick
Old 12-08-2005, 10:04 AM
H Ryder

I just found that collecting seeds of honesty when ripe (i.e. when the pods
go shiny and see through) and then scattering the seed on our clay soil
worked fine. What time of year are you sowing? Are you using bought (dried)
seed? What are you sowing it in? Maybe it is one of those things that (a)
needs light and (b) is better sown ripe that from packets? All I know is
that I had loads and loads after simply scattering one ripe seed stalk over
the garden one year. Also it is biannual so you will not get flowers the
first year, just leaves. This means that if you want it to just appear year
after year you do need to sow it two years in succession.
Hayley

Old 12-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Brian

"Warwick" wrote in message
My SIL in Worcester considers them weeds. Things that self seed like
they do and will add to the cottage feel of the borders here are
welcome.

So why can't I get the flipping things to grow? I can't even germinate
the seeds. Do I need to give them a 'winter' and freeze them? I'm not
*overly* enamoured of them as plants, but our 2 year old should find
them interesting. She already knows which of the sunflowers she planted.
(yes, some replanting happened earlier in the year after her bedtime).

Warwick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are many plants that will grow as weeds for some and impossible
for others. I cannot grow L.o.t.Valley. Others find it pushing through
their tarmac.
For a very young child, a potted grapefruit pip will sprout and flower
[one solitary bloom] in days. Spectacular and highly scented. Will not
flower again for many years. For an older child a peanut [not salted!!]
will make an interesting pot plant with yellow flowers that bury themselves
and make peanuts under the ground. Both will flourish on a windowsill.
Other citrus don't respond.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Warwick

In article ,
--- says...

"Warwick" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the grapefruit suggestion. Peanuts were already on my list of
interesting things for her in the greenhouse next year. On the citrus
I'm aware that the 2 foot high lemon tree from seed that is 3 years old
is unlikely to bear fruit in the next half a dozen years if ever, but it
is a nice plant with interesting glossy leaves so I'm not killing it off
just yet.

Regards

Warwick
Old 12-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Warwick

In article ,
says...
I just found that collecting seeds of honesty when ripe (i.e. when the pods
go shiny and see through) and then scattering the seed on our clay soil
worked fine. What time of year are you sowing? Are you using bought (dried)
seed? What are you sowing it in? Maybe it is one of those things that (a)
needs light and (b) is better sown ripe that from packets? All I know is
that I had loads and loads after simply scattering one ripe seed stalk over
the garden one year. Also it is biannual so you will not get flowers the
first year, just leaves. This means that if you want it to just appear year
after year you do need to sow it two years in succession.
Hayley

I've tried all sorts. I've never bought the seed since it grows like a
weed locally and in my SIL's garden and my mother's. I get ripe seed and
I'll admit that I've never just chucked it on the garden so that will be
this year's tactic. I've tended to be much more 'raising plants' about
things. So seed trays have happened. As the seed trays tend to get
incorporated into the ground at the end of the year/growing season/long
time with nothing appearing it is entirely possible that I've had
honesty growing and ended up with it being weeded out. I'll pay
attention to the small ones coming up in our neighbour's garden next
spring so I can spot what not to weed.

My garden has a history of SWMBO weeding a little bit too helpfully[1]
so I'll show her pictures too.

Warwick

[1]Finally I had success with Sea Holly this year. They started to
flower, were tall and gaining colour and prettiness. It was not to be.
The 'thistles' were removed.

Old 13-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Brian

"Warwick" wrote in message
In article ,
--- says...

"Warwick" wrote in message
[...]

Seedling citrus are a waste of time. I recently visited my old garden in a
sub-tropic zone and found that my lemon seedlings had eventually fruited
after fifteen years. However the fruits were grotesque and nothing like
lemon shaped. There are many genes involved in the fruit with the shape we
accept. Even commercial plantations produce many that are discarded.
A Meyer's lemon in your greenhouse will fruit with immediate effect and is
perfect for young children. They take little space and the fruits are quite
genuine.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 14-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Warwick

In article ,
--- says...

"Warwick" wrote in message
[...]

The lemon isn't for her. It is for me. The outcome isn't important. The
lifetime isn't important. The fruit isn't important. In fact the
pointlessness may be important. One day there may be a shrivelled fruit.
It may take 20 years. I don't care. There's the vanishingly small chance
that it crossed with a lime in a good way and will fruit with abundance
producing the next thing to go into drinks and make me a million from
the clones. Even that doesn't matter. If I wanted to produce lemons in
our climate I'd buy a clone from a garden centre and look after it as it
needed.

I'm letting/helping it grow just for the pleasure of growing it.

Warwick