Old 13-08-2005, 09:00 AM
presley

Warren, you're not as informed as you think you are.
http://landresources.montana.edu/LRE...stry_Web.pd f

According to the site above, from University of Montana, the composition of
rainfall is nearly identical to seawater with some additional molecules
picked up in the atmosphere. Furthermore, rainfall is NEVER simple H20 -
because it also picks up many gases that are present in the atmosphere and
transports them.
However, more pertinent to the ongoing argument is the fact that strong
winds (as in hurricane or near-hurricane force winds) which Scotland is
subject to every year,send salt spray MILES inland - not a few feet, or even
a few hundred feet. This can be verified in any google search.
I think that the issue has been clouded by all this talk about what hits
the leaves of the plants. It is clear that the initial post had to do with
what happened at the ROOTS of the plants in question. It is VERY evident
that rhododendrons cannot have their roots soaked in salt water that sits on
them. Constant movement of water through the root zone will wash the salts
through them or out of them - but it has to be water that is relatively low
in salts, and the plants have to have excellent drainage. A plant sitting in
a low spot with salt water swirling around its base is a goner - no
question. A plant on a hillside hit with a strong blast of very salty water
but subsequently flushed with plenty of water that moves through and out of
the root zone will probably be fine. Janet is not claiming that Scottish
rhododendrons are living in salt marshes. What she IS claiming is that they
live in rather close proximity to the sea in rather salty environments in
Scotland - albeit in regions of very high rainfall.

"Warren" wrote in message
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The rain, and wind, come from 300 miles of Atlantic ocean and are
heavily salt-laden.

Next you'll be asserting water can be lit on fire! Salt is NOT
evaporated
into clouds & precipitation NEVER salinizes soils.

Wrong.

http://agspsrv34.agric.wa.gov.au/env...#salt%20source

If what you got out of that page is that salt can be evaporated into the
clouds, and that rain in coastal areas contains salt, then we can clearly
see how little you understand about even the most simple science.

The bottom line is rhodies will not grow in a saline environment, no
matter how much you want to argue with the experts. And the gardens you
are using as proof that the experts are wrong all work hard to protect
their rhodies from the saline that could otherwise easily create problems.

You can stop trying to be right. You can stop trying to prove that
accepted science is wrong. Every time you post, you demonstrate how little
you know, and how difficult of a time you have dealing with being wrong.
Save us all the pain of watching you dig yourself deeper and deeper into
your pit of humiliation. Stop now, because you obviously don't have the
temperament to deal with any further embarrassment.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/