Old 13-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Rhonda Anderson

-db- wrote in
:

HC wrote:
G'day db

Why not give the quarantine people a call? or email? to make sure.
Would be terrible if there was a problem and it was traced back to
you at some time in the future?

yep, couldn't agree more

Geeze, even when I'm at home checking out newsgroups I can't get away
from work! I work for AQIS (Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service),
currently within the International Mail Program. This is not official
advice, but just to let you know that the public is able to access our
import conditions database at our website - www.aqis.gov.au.
The import conditions database is called ICON (you'll see a link to it on
the right side of the page, under the heading Resources).

If you're looking to import seeds, you can search on botanical name and
if there are import conditions set for it you'll find them there. One tip
- always search on genus only, not whole botanical name. For some genera,
there is one case for the whole genus, so you won't find a species name
listed. For others there will be a case titled XXX spp. (other than xxx).

If the seed you want isn't listed, that usually means that it hasn't been
assessed, and if you really want to try to import it you'd need to
contact us about lodging plant introduction forms.

The original post referred to Rhopasoltylis. There's nothing on ICON for
that, but there is a case for Rhopalostylis spp. Looks like typical palm
seed conditions - fleshy pericarp has to have been removed. Check it out
for yourself.

Cheers,
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia