Old 14-08-2005, 01:22 PM
-db-

Rhonda Anderson wrote:
-db- wrote in
:

[edit]

Geeze, even when I'm at home checking out newsgroups I can't get away
from work! I work for AQIS (Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service),
currently within the International Mail Program. This is not official
advice, but just to let you know that the public is able to access our
import conditions database at our website - www.aqis.gov.au.
The import conditions database is called ICON (you'll see a link to it on
the right side of the page, under the heading Resources).

Thanks Rhonda. I did find ICON

If you're looking to import seeds, you can search on botanical name and
if there are import conditions set for it you'll find them there. One tip
- always search on genus only, not whole botanical name. For some genera,
there is one case for the whole genus, so you won't find a species name
listed. For others there will be a case titled XXX spp. (other than xxx).

If the seed you want isn't listed, that usually means that it hasn't been
assessed, and if you really want to try to import it you'd need to
contact us about lodging plant introduction forms.

The original post referred to Rhopasoltylis. There's nothing on ICON for
that, but there is a case for Rhopalostylis spp. Looks like typical palm
seed conditions - fleshy pericarp has to have been removed. Check it out
for yourself.

Yep, Rhopalostylis is the one. Couldn't find it at first. Then I spelt
it properly :O I still couldn't find it - not until I heeded your
advice and searched for genus only; then bingo. The seeds are sealed in
foil in a packet (standard garden seed) so it appears to meet the
requirements. The packet was declared and checked by quarantine at
Melbourne Airport and allowed passed through. I gather it's not deemed
to be another cane toad but I am still curious as to why the back of the
packet states, "Please do not try to take these seeds into Australia".
I suspect it is more to to do with breeders rights rather than
quarantine. I did check the Plant Breeders Rights database but nothing
listed under Rhopalostylis
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/pbr_database/search.cfm