Old 14-08-2005, 10:58 AM
dusty

Default culture sheet for ? Grammatophyllum Speciosum v. citrinum

Last fall a friend of mine who grows only Cattaleyas gave me 3 of these
and when I asked how to grow them he shrugged saying beats me they where
given to me. Yeah, he knows I can't say no to a free orchid plant. All
three are planted in sphagnum. I've Googled all over the place and found
only one sight that claims to have a culture sheet but you have to be a
paid subscriber to get it. Right, pay for something sight unseen, NOT in
this lifetime.
What I did find indicates they are warm growing so I stuck them in with the
rest of my orchids and kind of forgot about them. While doing some
repotting last month I found them with new growths looking happy but I
still don't know if I'm giving them what they need.

I figured I'd find someone at the annual orchid society auction that knew
how to grow them. Would you believe no one there grows these. The best
guess answer I got was I think you care for them the same as cymbiduims.

I must have a couple of things right because they are growing. But what do
I need to know to make them bloom, is sphagnum the right potting mix, how
often and what do you feed them with.