Old 14-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Rhonda Anderson

-db- wrote in
:

I gather
it's not deemed to be another cane toad but I am still curious as to
why the back of the packet states, "Please do not try to take these
seeds into Australia". I suspect it is more to to do with breeders
rights rather than quarantine. I did check the Plant Breeders Rights
database but nothing listed under Rhopalostylis
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/pbr_database/search.cfm

It could also just be an overcompensation by the seed company - perhaps the
company has had feedback from customers who've had seed seized, and have
just provided a general warning on all packets rather than check the
details for each species of seed. Some people mistakenly think that no seed
at all can be brought into the country, perhaps this company also thinks
that.

It was good to see your concern over the quarantine conditions for the
seed.Hope you're successful in growing your plants.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia