Old 15-08-2005, 12:39 PM
OrchidKitty

Susan Erickson wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:56:42 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Carmela Orchids in Hawaii (Big Island - Hilo side). Ask for Sheldon (owner)
carmela.com or carmelaorchids.com or google it.

K Barrett

For our big fund raiser Denver has bought from Yamamoto
Dendrobiums, Big Island Orchids, and S & W Orchids for the last
two years. Very nice plants and shipping in March, we sometimes
have worries. I have heard of Norman's, Cal-Orchids, and Oak
Hill doing deals for Society Fund Raisers.

Contact me personally if you need contacts or addresses. I
don't know who they talk to, I just pay the bills. If you need
the contacts I can check at the Board meeting this week. Good
luck with the auction. We have a sale, not an auction, at the
spring show for our fund raiser.

How about a new thread on Society fund raisers. Anyone
interested?
SuE

Thanks everyone for the information. Carmela's does look good!

Other ways to get stuff to auction:

(1) Send letters to non-local orchid vendors asking for plant
donations. This gives vendors a chance to promote their goods to our
society and thus expand their customer base. What often happens is that
if a vendor sends a terrific cross that everyone wants, after the
auction, members will scramble to contact the vendor to see whether
there is more of the same.

(2) Solicit local nurseries for out-of-bloom orchids. These might not
yield a huge amount of money (especially if the plants are not named),
but it provides good, inexpensive plants for beginners.

(3) I've also asked local merchants for non-orchid items: a bottle of
good wine from a wine store, dinner-for-two gift certificates from
restaurants, etc. Getting a donation from a chain operation usually
requires a couple of months' lead time and a letter on society
stationary. The donation request is then voted on at a board of
directors meeting.

Any other ideas?