Old 14-08-2005, 09:09 PM
OrchidKitty

Default Buying orchids for auction resale

I need to buy some orchids for resale at a society auction. Does
anybody have any recommended vendors? Currently, I'm planning to order
from Norman's Orchids and Oak Hill because previously we've received
plants from them with good results. (I've ordered from them too and
have been happy with what I've got.)

Old 14-08-2005, 09:56 PM
K Barrett

Carmela Orchids in Hawaii (Big Island - Hilo side). Ask for Sheldon (owner)
carmela.com or carmelaorchids.com or google it.

K Barrett

oups.com...

Old 15-08-2005, 01:37 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:56:42 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Carmela Orchids in Hawaii (Big Island - Hilo side). Ask for Sheldon (owner)
carmela.com or carmelaorchids.com or google it.

K Barrett

For our big fund raiser Denver has bought from Yamamoto
Dendrobiums, Big Island Orchids, and S & W Orchids for the last
two years. Very nice plants and shipping in March, we sometimes
have worries. I have heard of Norman's, Cal-Orchids, and Oak
Hill doing deals for Society Fund Raisers.

Contact me personally if you need contacts or addresses. I
don't know who they talk to, I just pay the bills. If you need
the contacts I can check at the Board meeting this week. Good
luck with the auction. We have a sale, not an auction, at the
spring show for our fund raiser.

How about a new thread on Society fund raisers. Anyone
interested?
SuE
Old 15-08-2005, 12:39 PM
OrchidKitty

wrote:

Carmela Orchids in Hawaii (Big Island - Hilo side). Ask for Sheldon (owner)
carmela.com or carmelaorchids.com or google it.

K Barrett

For our big fund raiser Denver has bought from Yamamoto
Dendrobiums, Big Island Orchids, and S & W Orchids for the last
two years. Very nice plants and shipping in March, we sometimes
have worries. I have heard of Norman's, Cal-Orchids, and Oak
Hill doing deals for Society Fund Raisers.

Contact me personally if you need contacts or addresses. I
don't know who they talk to, I just pay the bills. If you need
the contacts I can check at the Board meeting this week. Good
luck with the auction. We have a sale, not an auction, at the
spring show for our fund raiser.

How about a new thread on Society fund raisers. Anyone
interested?
SuE

Thanks everyone for the information. Carmela's does look good!

Other ways to get stuff to auction:

(1) Send letters to non-local orchid vendors asking for plant
donations. This gives vendors a chance to promote their goods to our
society and thus expand their customer base. What often happens is that
if a vendor sends a terrific cross that everyone wants, after the
auction, members will scramble to contact the vendor to see whether
there is more of the same.

(2) Solicit local nurseries for out-of-bloom orchids. These might not
yield a huge amount of money (especially if the plants are not named),
but it provides good, inexpensive plants for beginners.

(3) I've also asked local merchants for non-orchid items: a bottle of
good wine from a wine store, dinner-for-two gift certificates from
restaurants, etc. Getting a donation from a chain operation usually
requires a couple of months' lead time and a letter on society
stationary. The donation request is then voted on at a board of
directors meeting.

Any other ideas?

Old 15-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Diana Kulaga

How about a new thread on Society fund raisers. Anyone
interested?
SuE

Sounds like a good idea. Start it up, Sue!

Diana

Old 16-08-2005, 11:19 PM
V_coerulea

Carter&Holmes has a generous offer for society auctions, raffles, and group
orders plus a discount coupon to raffle off. Check out
http://www.carter-and-holmes.com/index.shtml Go to shop full catalog and
click on Terms at the top. Halfway down the page you'll see the society
offers. A good place to add to your list. Great plants!
Gary