Old 16-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Vox Humana

"dps" wrote in message
I have a Stihl string trimmer with an edging attachment. I find it
generally useful for keeping things fairly neat, although I'm not very
good at making finish cuts with the string trimmer. I tend to use it on
brush too much. I have an edging attachment for it. It's basically a
blade which spins in a vertical plane and a couple of wheels to run it
along the pavement (or mulch bed) so it digs in a uniform amount. Don't
remember the total cost, probably $350-450 for both the trimmer and the
edger attachment.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a pain to switch
attachments. The shaft has a small (~1/4") square drive that has to fit
into a square socket in a recessed area of the trimmer or edger. The
attachment then clamps to the shaft. After some debris builds up on the
shaft, it's a bit difficult to slide on the attachment. It's doubly
difficult when the square drive and socket have to line up to get it in
properly.

Other than that, it does a good job on light weeds (string trimmer) and
edges (edger). I also have a solid blade for the trimmer that can take
out 1/2" diameter brush easily and 1" brush with a little work.

2 cycle engine, takes gas/oil mix. Take a gas can and write gas/oil on
it in permanent black marker. Mark your other gas can(s) "Regular Gas"
(or whatever) so you don't mix them up. Use large type so you can read
it from a distance. The markings require retouching every couple of years.

Wear hearing protection (it's a noisy buzzy thing) and eye protection.
I've tried a chainsaw helmet with a screen faceguard, but the trimmer
can kick up sand, which can go through the screen. Use goggles and plan
on replacing them every couple of years when they get too scratched up
to see through.

I have the same set-up, different brand. It's OK for my small yard, but I
wouldn't want to maintain 700+ feet of edging. I generally do my mother's
property about once a year and I know that my small edger wouldn't cut it.
It may be OK to maintain the area after it was done. I don't have much luck
edging with the string trimmer. I always manage to mutilate the lawn and
the string pelts me with all the debris that migrates to the edge