Old 16-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Steve

In article et,
Luna wrote:
I am researching edibles to plant this fall for my community garden near
Chapel Hill. We have an established heirloom apple orchard but need to
plant plums, cherries, pears, possibly peaches, and ??? Pecans and
chestnuts are on our list, as well as figs and berries.

Are you mostly interested in fruit? The NC State Cooperative Extension
Service has a few publications giving recommended varieties and growing
guidelines for North Carolina:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag28.html
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/h...uit-index.html
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/h...uit-index.html

I have two types of figs (brown turkey and celeste). Both do well here,
but a cold winter or spring can hurt them. A cold snap after some warmer
weather this spring prevented any fruiting this year, but the trees are
otherwise healthy. Our blueberries did great this year, really enjoying
the cold wet spring, but I am not sure of the varieties since they were
planted by the previous owners of the property. I have a damsom plum
and d'anjou pear which are doing well and a seckel pear which is doing
OK, but all are still too young to produce fruit yet. We also have a
peach tree (variety unknown), but it is not very healthy and is
bothered by insects. Peaches can also be very sensitive to the weather.
Everthing is by organic methods which works well for everything except
the peach (which I am considering taking down and replacing with
something else).

--
Steve