Old 17-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Logic316

Elaine T wrote:

Try reading Tom Barr's Estimative Index fertilizing method at
http://www.barrreport.com. You have to register for free to read it,
and it's well worthwhile. Use EI dosing for a "low uptake" tank and
you'll be fine.

I also believe that Tom has demonstrated reasonably well that phosphate
does not cause algae. I haven't hunted down all the publications yet in
his EI article, but the real culprit appears to be ammonia. Tanks with
lots of rapidly-growing plants outcompete algae for any ammonia that the
filter doesn't immediately convert to nitrate.

Here's the direct URL to "The Estimative Index of Dosing" article:
http://www.barrreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1
You don't need to register unless you're going in through their
homepage, heh heh.

Very interesting. That ammonia can be bad, bad stuff even in tiny
concentrations. I'm still kind of skeptical about phosphates not causing
algae though. Despite his meticulous looking data, Tom appears to be the
only guy who claims that. I guess we just have to try it out for ourselves.

- Logic316

"Bureaucracy: The process of turning energy into solid waste."