Old 16-08-2005, 04:34 AM
Pedro

Will the amount of plants determine the amount I have to use of the
fertilizers, etc? My theory on the algae thins is that I do not have many
plants and the algae is beating the plants for nutrients, etc. Does this
makes sense?

"Elaine T" wrote in message
. ..
Pedro wrote:
I currently use liquid CO2. My plants have shown growth. It is only the
algae bothering me. I will try changing the bulb. Do you recommend liquid
CO2 everyday?

Thanks

The ONLY liquid CO2 product that I can recommend with any confidence is
Flourish Excel. Use it according to the directions on the bottle.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 16-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Logic316

Pedro wrote:
Will the amount of plants determine the amount I have to use of the
fertilizers, etc? My theory on the algae thins is that I do not have many
plants and the algae is beating the plants for nutrients, etc. Does this
makes sense?

According to the brand I use (KENT), it say 1-3 doses a week, depending
on how heavily the tank is planted. It doesn't get any more specific
than that. But as far as I know, fertilizer specifically formulated for
aquarium plants shouldn't promote algae growth. Unlike ordinary garden
fertilizer (like Miracle Gro), it doesn't contain phosphates which algae
like to feed on. Some people, in an effort to save money, do like to use
Miracle Gro to fertilize their water plants. But as well as containing
algae-promoting phosphates, it also has ammonia in it which is bad for fish.

You could try and stop using fertilizer for a month or two and see if
has any effect. As long as you provide sufficient lighting, I don't
think your plants will suffer.

- Logic316

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one
behind me."
-- General George S. Patton
Old 17-08-2005, 03:16 AM
Elaine T

Logic316 wrote:
Pedro wrote:

[...]

Try reading Tom Barr's Estimative Index fertilizing method at
http://www.barrreport.com. You have to register for free to read it,
and it's well worthwhile. Use EI dosing for a "low uptake" tank and
you'll be fine.

I also believe that Tom has demonstrated reasonably well that phosphate
does not cause algae. I haven't hunted down all the publications yet in
his EI article, but the real culprit appears to be ammonia. Tanks with
lots of rapidly-growing plants outcompete algae for any ammonia that the
filter doesn't immediately convert to nitrate.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 17-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Logic316

Elaine T wrote:

Try reading Tom Barr's Estimative Index fertilizing method at
http://www.barrreport.com. You have to register for free to read it,
and it's well worthwhile. Use EI dosing for a "low uptake" tank and
you'll be fine.

I also believe that Tom has demonstrated reasonably well that phosphate
does not cause algae. I haven't hunted down all the publications yet in
his EI article, but the real culprit appears to be ammonia. Tanks with
lots of rapidly-growing plants outcompete algae for any ammonia that the
filter doesn't immediately convert to nitrate.

Here's the direct URL to "The Estimative Index of Dosing" article:
http://www.barrreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1
You don't need to register unless you're going in through their
homepage, heh heh.

Very interesting. That ammonia can be bad, bad stuff even in tiny
concentrations. I'm still kind of skeptical about phosphates not causing
algae though. Despite his meticulous looking data, Tom appears to be the
only guy who claims that. I guess we just have to try it out for ourselves.

- Logic316

"Bureaucracy: The process of turning energy into solid waste."

Colorful Tropical Foliage Plants – Croton Plants And Caladium Plants BobWalsh Gardening 2 04-10-2011 12:31 PM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
Plants, Plants, Plants! Ali Khan Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
Plants, Plants, Plants Ali Khan Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:10 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM