Old 17-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Spud Demon

"Vox Humana" writes in article dated Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:08:20 GMT:

"Spud Demon" wrote in message
My grass is growing sideways across my sidewalk and into the street. With
240' of sidewalk, this is 720' of "edge" that I have to trim (both sides

of
the sidewalk plus one side of the street). I have an electric string
trimmer, but it will take me all day with that. There is thatch and dirt
encroaching on the sidewalk.

Any recommendations for a tool (gas or electric) to take care of this
quickly?

I would also recommend getting a dedicated edger for that much work. I have
an edger attachment for my trimmer. It is only adequate, but I have very
little to edge. My mother has a gasoline powered Craftsman edger that does
a great job. Unless you have a number of well positioned outlets, I would
forget the electric model. While I like electric yard tools for a number of
reasons, they aren't really suitable for large jobs.

You will probably have to spend around $300 for a decent edger. If you are
only planning to use it once or twice a year, you might check out the prices
at rental centers. I would imagine that you could rent an edger for 4 hours
for around $25. Renting would also give you a chance to try this type of
equipment and see if it meets your needs.

Thanks to Vox and all others who replied!

I probably wouldn't use it more than a couple of times a year, and there is
a rental place nearby that probably has them, so maybe I will do that.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for having the thing in my
garage when I need it, and there are a couple of high(er)-power electric
models:

Black & Decker LE750 Edge Hog (2.5 HP, 11 Amp)
Craftsman #79654 12 Amp landscape edger

Anybody have comments on these?

The Black & Decker seems to have mixed reviews depending on whether the
motor burned out or not. If I do get one of these I will definitly ask for
the extended warranty!

Getting power to the sidewalk is no problem, I have two outlets and one 100'
extension cord that will cover it. (It's not all straight sidewalk; I'm on
a corner.)

--Spud Demon spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net