Old 17-08-2005, 09:29 PM
tab

I had to remove several box hedges this year and most gave up without a
struggle. However, one stump just would not let go. I cut it to the
ground, it grew back. I excavated underneath it and chopped through the
thickest roots (the rest go right through a old wall which can't be
removed), it still kept growing. I tried a chainsaw, it blunted the
blade. I drilled holes and filled them with salt then covered the stump
with old engine grease (to try and smother it), more shoots appeared. I
set fire to it and let the embers burn beneath it for a day, then
covered it with a sheet of plastic, which so far seems to be the end of
it....

So my point is, save yourself many hours of shouting at a stump and
just use chemicals.

Bob

Mine is beside a wooden fence and neighbours shed.Dont think he would be
very happy if by mistake I set fire to it :-) I have drilled holes and put
paraffin just now until I get some acid.
Regarding sulphuric acid as mentioned earlier,I seem to remember from my
youth and doing casual work on farms that potato crop was spread with a weak
solution of this to kill off the shaws( maybe a Scottish word) before
harvesting the crop