Old 16-08-2005, 06:39 PM
tab

Default Bush stump and roots

Have bush that I would like to get completely rid of.It is hard up to
adjoining wooden fence.I have dug down on my side and cut all the roots I
can get at ,but neighbours shed is on the other side so cant get down that
side.Is there any way that I can get kill this thing off eg. by drilling
holes and pouring something in.I tried a root killer bought from Focus but
there are still new shoots appearing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to deal with this.

Old 16-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "tab" contains these words:

Have bush that I would like to get completely rid of.It is hard up to
adjoining wooden fence.I have dug down on my side and cut all the roots I
can get at ,but neighbours shed is on the other side so cant get down that
side.Is there any way that I can get kill this thing off eg. by drilling
holes and pouring something in.I tried a root killer bought from Focus but
there are still new shoots appearing.

Sulphuric acid (from old accumulator.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 16-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Teleman

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "tab" contains these words:

Have bush that I would like to get completely rid of.It is hard up to
adjoining wooden fence.I have dug down on my side and cut all the roots I
can get at ,but neighbours shed is on the other side so cant get down that
side.Is there any way that I can get kill this thing off eg. by drilling
holes and pouring something in.I tried a root killer bought from Focus but
there are still new shoots appearing.

Sulphuric acid (from old accumulator.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

What will that do to the soil around, may i ask?

Teleman

Old 16-08-2005, 09:54 PM
tab

"Teleman" wrote in message

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "tab" contains these words:

Have bush that I would like to get completely rid of.It is hard up to
adjoining wooden fence.I have dug down on my side and cut all the roots
can get at ,but neighbours shed is on the other side so cant get down
that
side.Is there any way that I can get kill this thing off eg. by drilling
holes and pouring something in.I tried a root killer bought from Focus
but
there are still new shoots appearing.

Sulphuric acid (from old accumulator.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

What will that do to the soil around, may i ask?

Teleman
Nothing growing within 10 feet of the bush so should be ok if I can get the
necessary.

Old 16-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Teleman" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "tab" contains these words:

Have bush that I would like to get completely rid of.It is hard up to
adjoining wooden fence.I have dug down on my side and cut all the roots I
can get at ,but neighbours shed is on the other side so cant get
down that
side.Is there any way that I can get kill this thing off eg. by drilling
holes and pouring something in.I tried a root killer bought from
Focus but
there are still new shoots appearing.

Sulphuric acid (from old accumulator.)

What will that do to the soil around, may i ask?

I do wish you'd cut out the sig of the post you're replying to...

The soil around it will not suffer - you only need a small amount of
acid, and it's quite dilute already. Any which might leach into the soil
will be neutralised very quickly, and the sulphates generated will act
as a fertiliser.

Old 17-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Registered User

I had to remove several box hedges this year and most gave up without a struggle. However, one stump just would not let go. I cut it to the ground, it grew back. I excavated underneath it and chopped through the thickest roots (the rest go right through a old wall which can't be removed), it still kept growing. I tried a chainsaw, it blunted the blade. I drilled holes and filled them with salt then covered the stump with old engine grease (to try and smother it), more shoots appeared. I set fire to it and let the embers burn beneath it for a day, then covered it with a sheet of plastic, which so far seems to be the end of it....

So my point is, save yourself many hours of shouting at a stump and just use chemicals.

Bob
Old 17-08-2005, 09:29 PM
tab

I had to remove several box hedges this year and most gave up without a
struggle. However, one stump just would not let go. I cut it to the
ground, it grew back. I excavated underneath it and chopped through the
thickest roots (the rest go right through a old wall which can't be
removed), it still kept growing. I tried a chainsaw, it blunted the
blade. I drilled holes and filled them with salt then covered the stump
with old engine grease (to try and smother it), more shoots appeared. I
set fire to it and let the embers burn beneath it for a day, then
covered it with a sheet of plastic, which so far seems to be the end of
it....

So my point is, save yourself many hours of shouting at a stump and
just use chemicals.

Bob

Mine is beside a wooden fence and neighbours shed.Dont think he would be
very happy if by mistake I set fire to it :-) I have drilled holes and put
paraffin just now until I get some acid.
Regarding sulphuric acid as mentioned earlier,I seem to remember from my
youth and doing casual work on farms that potato crop was spread with a weak
solution of this to kill off the shaws( maybe a Scottish word) before
harvesting the crop

Old 18-08-2005, 04:41 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "tab" contains these words:

Mine is beside a wooden fence and neighbours shed.Dont think he would be
very happy if by mistake I set fire to it :-) I have drilled holes and put
paraffin just now until I get some acid.

I wouldn't think that paraffin would have any effect. You might be able
to persuade a chemist to sell you a small bottle of sulphuric acid - if
you can find a proper chemist.

But be warned! Sulphuric acid is dangerous, and when it gets onto skin,
clothing, etc, it just keeps eating away. Mostly, it just extracts the
elements of water to dilute itself, but as that evaporates it continues
to remove it. You can reduce some organic matter to almost pure carbon
like that.

If you do get some, have some washing soda solution or bicarbonate of
soda handy to neutralise any splashes. But whatever you do, don't
introduce it to the main body of the acid...

Also, if you decide to dilute it to get rid of it, always add the acid
to water and not water to the acid. Pouring concentrated sulphuric acid
into water generates large amounts of local heat, with the result that
it boils, and spits hot acid at you.

That's why i suggested battery acid. Get a little (you don't need much)
form a tyre shop.

Regarding sulphuric acid as mentioned earlier,I seem to remember from my
youth and doing casual work on farms that potato crop was spread with
a weak
solution of this to kill off the shaws( maybe a Scottish word) before
harvesting the crop

I understood it to be a very strong solution. The idea is to kill the
shaws/haulm (and any wildlife amongst it - most horribly) and leave the
potatoes in the ground for the skins to harden, making them keep better
in storage.

Old 19-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 04:41:07 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Regarding sulphuric acid as mentioned earlier,I seem to remember from my
youth and doing casual work on farms that potato crop was spread with
a weak
solution of this to kill off the shaws( maybe a Scottish word) before
harvesting the crop

I understood it to be a very strong solution. The idea is to kill the
shaws/haulm (and any wildlife amongst it - most horribly) and leave the
potatoes in the ground for the skins to harden, making them keep better
in storage.

AIUI it's done when the farmer isn't ready to lift the crop. So he
destroys the haulms to prevent blight spreading down to the tubers.
I've seen diquat and dinoseb also recommended as defoliants. Wouldn't
fancy handling strong sulphuric acid by the tanker-load though, let
alone spraying it all over the place. Must be hellish corrosive on the
farm machinery, let alone the farmer, especially if he gets a gust of
wind from the wrong direction!

--
Chris