Old 18-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Neil Woodman

Justin wrote:

Hi all,

From what I have seen of Amano I think his tanks are breathtaking...
But they almost touch on the unreal in my opinion... Some of them
appear to be dreamlike in that they almost look imposible to create.
I have 3 of his books on lay-by (lay-away I think it's called in
America) just so I can get some inspiration... But I doubt I will be
able to re-create what he has mastered. I have been told though that
he makes his tanks for one photo and then after that they "fall apart"
as they are not designed for a permanent display, I would like to
think that this person doesn't know what they are talking about...

"Neil Woodman"
wrote in message
Elaine T wrote:

Neil Woodman wrote:

What do you guys think of Amano and his approach to the hobby. I
think he's a genius personally and my main inspiration, if ever
I find my enthusiasm for planted tanks dipping I just leaf
through some of his books and that just inspires me to keep going.

what about you guys?

I love his aquascapes! Whenever I set up a new tank, I leaf
through his books for inspiration. I'm not sure I would want all
the light and fish he puts in his tanks, but I love doing similar
aquascapes with classic lower light plants.

Me too, the problem I have is while I can get the plants growing
for a while eventually the tank begins to look a bit rubbish. Its
the long term maintenance I have the biggest problem with, most of
my tanks last a few months before needing a revamp.

I must say I agre with you. I think the rumour that Amano only sets up
these tanks for a few weeks and then dismantles them has been going
around for a while, but I read that his tanks run for 2 years +. I can
say that in the latest 2005 ADA catalogue there is a picture of a tank
which I've seen previously online and there is a definite long term
growth thing happening there.

For me its the aquascapes I find so inspiring, ok there are some I'm not
that into but can appreciate but others just blow me away, I'm thinking
of the one at the end of Nature Aquarium World using huge bits of
driftwood and congo tetras. Amazing stuff.