Old 18-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Neil Woodman

Elaine T wrote:

Neil Woodman wrote:

Elaine T wrote:

Neil Woodman wrote:

What do you guys think of Amano and his approach to the hobby. I
think he's a genius personally and my main inspiration, if ever I
find my enthusiasm for planted tanks dipping I just leaf through
some of his books and that just inspires me to keep going.

what about you guys?

I love his aquascapes! Whenever I set up a new tank, I leaf through
his books for inspiration. I'm not sure I would want all the light
and fish he puts in his tanks, but I love doing similar aquascapes
with classic lower light plants.

Me too, the problem I have is while I can get the plants growing for
a while eventually the tank begins to look a bit rubbish. Its the
long term maintenance I have the biggest problem with, most of my
tanks last a few months before needing a revamp.

My tanks need pruning, but what do you mean by a revamp? I've moved
quite a bit, so the longest I've had a planted tank up was 3 years. I
divided a few crypts, thinned vals, and had to continually clip and
replant the stem plants. Sometimes a plant will stop thriving and I
replace it. I consider that normal maintenance for a planted tank.
It's kind of like deadheading a flower garden and seeding new annuals.
Is that what you mean by revamp?

Yeah I would say so, replacing plants that kind of thing, sometimes some
just die off etc. That is what I mean.