Old 19-08-2005, 04:50 AM
Cereus-validus.......

Oh Emily,

Why don't you stick to writing vapid "love poems" and leave the botany to
the big boys?

There is nothing absurd about Cereus validus. Its the name of an actual
species. But, of course, you wouldn't know that.

"Emily" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:28:07 GMT, "Cereus-validus......."
wrote:

Finally the Grand Poobah humbles himself before the truth!!!

By beginner plant, you must mean a relatively young one or one with an
immature rootstock. Certainly it isn't one with training wheels!!!

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
.. .
schreef
Well, I have never seen anything resembling fruit. Might this have to
do with the climate? I live in the Netherlands.

***
Probably nothing to do with climate.
The Botanic Gardens at Utrecht have an extensive collection of
Arisaema-species and all or most of these carry fruit.

The fruits cannot be overlooked, in contrast to the inflorescence.
Of course, a specimen with relatively poor reserves will have male
inflorescences only.
So a specimen that is only a beginner at flowering indeed won't have
fruit.
PvR

Oh dear. The absurdly named Cereus-validus is at it again - scoring
cheap linguistic points off people who don't have English as their
first language.