Old 13-08-2005, 05:30 PM

Default What plant is this?

I've had this plant for some seven years now and have never known its
name. It comes up every july and dies in oktober or so. Peculiar are
its leaf crown which is set to one side of the stem, and its speckled
stem. It has two stems, possibly belonging to two separate plants. Here
are some pictures:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...0/100_1755.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...0/100_1753.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...0/100_1750.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...0/100_1756.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions.
Michiel

Old 13-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Probably an Arisaema species of some sort. Its a rather large genus. It
could even be a species in some other aroid genus. Cannot say without seeing
the inflorescence.

You must be missing the inflorescence that comes up in spring before the
foliage matures.

http://www.bulbsociety.com/GALLERY_O...aemalist.shtml

http://www.aroid.org/

ups.com...

Old 14-08-2005, 12:30 AM

Hm, thanks, certainly sounds interesting. What exactly is the
inflorescence? I am not a biologist myself (and neither an english
native speaker). As a matter of fact, many years we have doubted wether
the plant would show up but it always has. Often however, it has
appeared after we return from holiday and I have never seen the early
stages of its appearence.
What other information would be needed to determine its name?
Will it ever carry real flowers? So far it hasn't? Are there ways to
improve this chance? Does it need more sun?

Michiel

Old 14-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Sean Houtman

" wrote in
oups.com:

Hm, thanks, certainly sounds interesting. What exactly is the
inflorescence? I am not a biologist myself (and neither an english
native speaker). As a matter of fact, many years we have doubted
wether the plant would show up but it always has. Often however,
it has appeared after we return from holiday and I have never seen
the early stages of its appearence.
What other information would be needed to determine its name?
Will it ever carry real flowers? So far it hasn't? Are there ways
to improve this chance? Does it need more sun?

Aroids often produce flowers in the spring, you may get a stem with
something shaped like a champagne glass, with a bunch of flowers
hidden inside of that. That will generally set seed and die well
before the leaves emerge later in the summer. What you posted were
images of two leaves, probably from the same plant. Mark the spot
and check for a flower stalk in the spring.

Sean

Old 14-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message .com,
" writes
What exactly is the inflorescence?

To quote an old botanical glossary

(1) The disposition of the flowers on the floral axis
(2) less correctly used for the Flower Cluster
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 14-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Confuse the man even more, will ya?
Keep your dusty "old botanical glossary" on the bookshelf with the other
antiques where it belongs.

In this case, we are actually referring to the spath and spadix that passes
for the "flower" of an Aroid.

In message .com,
" writes

Old 15-08-2005, 12:20 AM

Thanks all for enhancing my botanical knowledge ;-). I will certainly
mark the location of my plant and be on the look-out for anything
inflorescence-like in the spring!

Michiel

Old 15-08-2005, 08:25 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

schreef
Thanks all for enhancing my botanical knowledge ;-). I will certainly
mark the location of my plant and be on the look-out for anything
inflorescence-like in the spring!

***
Flowering in Arisaema is known to be related to the reserves the plant has.
If there are no fruits this year, most likely it did not flower this year,
and it is not all that likely that it will flower next year.

It will flower only when it is ready.
PvR

Old 18-08-2005, 11:29 AM

Well, I have never seen anything resembling fruit. Might this have to
do with the climate? I live in the Netherlands.

Michiel

Old 18-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Cereus-validus.......

The statement about fruit is a red herring.

Since many Arisaema are functionally dioecious, you would need to be growing
plants of both sexes and have a pollinator to get fruit. That would be
rather impossible to expect from a single plant.

All you need to worry about is seeing the plant produce it inflorescence
next spring.

oups.com...

Old 18-08-2005, 03:31 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

schreef
Well, I have never seen anything resembling fruit. Might this have to
do with the climate? I live in the Netherlands.

***
Probably nothing to do with climate.
The Botanic Gardens at Utrecht have an extensive collection of
Arisaema-species and all or most of these carry fruit.

The fruits cannot be overlooked, in contrast to the inflorescence.
Of course, a specimen with relatively poor reserves will have male
inflorescences only.
So a specimen that is only a beginner at flowering indeed won't have fruit.
PvR

Old 18-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Finally the Grand Poobah humbles himself before the truth!!!

By beginner plant, you must mean a relatively young one or one with an
immature rootstock. Certainly it isn't one with training wheels!!!

schreef

Old 18-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Emily

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:28:07 GMT, "Cereus-validus......."
wrote:

Finally the Grand Poobah humbles himself before the truth!!!

By beginner plant, you must mean a relatively young one or one with an
immature rootstock. Certainly it isn't one with training wheels!!!

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
. ..
schreef
Well, I have never seen anything resembling fruit. Might this have to
do with the climate? I live in the Netherlands.

***
Probably nothing to do with climate.
The Botanic Gardens at Utrecht have an extensive collection of
Arisaema-species and all or most of these carry fruit.

The fruits cannot be overlooked, in contrast to the inflorescence.
Of course, a specimen with relatively poor reserves will have male
inflorescences only.
So a specimen that is only a beginner at flowering indeed won't have
fruit.
PvR

Oh dear. The absurdly named Cereus-validus is at it again - scoring
cheap linguistic points off people who don't have English as their
first language.
Old 19-08-2005, 04:50 AM
Cereus-validus.......

Oh Emily,

Why don't you stick to writing vapid "love poems" and leave the botany to
the big boys?

There is nothing absurd about Cereus validus. Its the name of an actual
species. But, of course, you wouldn't know that.

news
wrote:

Finally the Grand Poobah humbles himself before the truth!!!

By beginner plant, you must mean a relatively young one or one with an
immature rootstock. Certainly it isn't one with training wheels!!!

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
.. .
schreef

Old 19-08-2005, 05:22 AM
Emily

It's a cactus. My growing instructions say "Full sun when mature." So
stick to the shade.

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 03:50:59 GMT, "Cereus-validus......."
wrote:

Oh Emily,

Why don't you stick to writing vapid "love poems" and leave the botany to
the big boys?

There is nothing absurd about Cereus validus. Its the name of an actual
species. But, of course, you wouldn't know that.

news