Old 20-08-2005, 06:36 AM
madgardener

wrote in message
oups.com...
This is the variety I'm talking about.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/11365/

I just planted a small and beat-up example (picked it up on sale for a
buck). It already a few flowers blooming and seems to have taken well
to the site I selected -- full sun, sandy top soil, and at the top of a
retaining wall. Anyone have any tips or advice they'd like to share on
growing this vine?

Patrick

well Patrick, I've seen prime example of what Cypress vine or "Love Vine" as
my Aunt Francis used to call it (because it strangles the hell outa it's
surrounding plants---- As much as I admire it, grow it where you can
keep an eye on it's spread. I've seen what one season of not watching where
the vines scramble can do. Each flower produces a case that holds four to
five seeds that all sprout,making more vine next year which multiplied four
to five times each vine adds up. And it's stinky to pull up. Hummer's like
it, but there are less invasive vines to offer them that this, unless you
grow it on a support with nothing else for it to grab onto.

I actually considered myself lucky with all the thousands of seeds at Mary
Emma's that got loose from her's that I didn't wind up with it to battle
along with my Vinca major and other things, and damned if I didn't spot a
weak tendril in a pot of mum's the other day. Where it came from I can't
tell you, but I'm pulling it out tomorrow. The trumpet vine next to the pot
of mums won't allow another invasive vine to move in.................you'd
never find me for the foliage!
madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking a very hazy
and sticky English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36
where I won't deliberately grow Cypress Vine no matter how