Old 21-08-2005, 09:47 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Dominic-Luc Webb" wrote in message
As an extension of my last post, any suggestions on how to
properly fetch viable seeds from koriander plants and other
herbs? I have quite a lot of koriander plants (about 1000) that
have flowered since a couple weeks ago and I want lots of good
seeds for next year.

Dominic

I only know how to do it by hand which is going to be backbreaking with 1000
plants. I leaves the seed head on the plant until it looks brown and dryish
and then rub the head between my hands, if the seed is mature and dry the
tissue around it will break releasing the seeds which fall into my hands or
on to paper that I have put underneath. If the seed is still green leave it
longer on the plant.

You will get maybe 30 to 70 seeds per plant (rough guess) and the viability
is quite high so you may not need to do all 1000 plants unless planning on a
few acres for next year. Since coriander seed can be purchased in bulk
quite cheaply you would think there must be a way to do it that is simpler
but I don't know what that is.

David