Old 17-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Dominic-Luc Webb

Default collecting seeds from koriander and other herbs

As an extension of my last post, any suggestions on how to
properly fetch viable seeds from koriander plants and other
herbs? I have quite a lot of koriander plants (about 1000) that
have flowered since a couple weeks ago and I want lots of good
seeds for next year.

Dominic

Old 21-08-2005, 09:47 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Dominic-Luc Webb" wrote in message
As an extension of my last post, any suggestions on how to
properly fetch viable seeds from koriander plants and other
herbs? I have quite a lot of koriander plants (about 1000) that
have flowered since a couple weeks ago and I want lots of good
seeds for next year.

Dominic

I only know how to do it by hand which is going to be backbreaking with 1000
plants. I leaves the seed head on the plant until it looks brown and dryish
and then rub the head between my hands, if the seed is mature and dry the
tissue around it will break releasing the seeds which fall into my hands or
on to paper that I have put underneath. If the seed is still green leave it
longer on the plant.

You will get maybe 30 to 70 seeds per plant (rough guess) and the viability
is quite high so you may not need to do all 1000 plants unless planning on a
few acres for next year. Since coriander seed can be purchased in bulk
quite cheaply you would think there must be a way to do it that is simpler
but I don't know what that is.

David

Old 22-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Dominic-Luc Webb

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, David Hare-Scott wrote:

You will get maybe 30 to 70 seeds per plant (rough guess) and the viability
is quite high so you may not need to do all 1000 plants unless planning on a
few acres for next year. Since coriander seed can be purchased in bulk
quite cheaply you would think there must be a way to do it that is simpler
but I don't know what that is.

David

Thanks bunches! I am curious about bulk suppliers, anywhere on the
planet for such things. Actually I wanted celantro, which apparently
is not the same plant. Here in Sweden they charged me several dollars
for only about koriander 100 seeds, and just after I planted them a
friend came buy, laughed, and out of sympathy just gave me over a
thousand seeds. Most importantly, his seeds had much higher
growability (nearly 100%) than the commercial ones (less than 50%).
I bought celantro from the same supplier and none of the roughly
100 seeds ever popped up out of the soil. I would like to find a
good source for this.

Dominic

Old 08-09-2005, 05:56 PM
BinaryBill

..
[...]

FYI Cilantro is spanish for coriander, they are the same plant

Old 09-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Dominic-Luc Webb

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, BinaryBill wrote:

Dominic

FYI Cilantro is spanish for coriander, they are the same plant

Not sure yet. I thought I had this figured out, but maybe
not.

Cilantro is by some accounts Coriandrum sativum, and the latin
scientific name is definitely koriander that is believed to have
originated in the Mediterranean. By other accounts, Cilantro,
also spelled "Culantro" is Eryngium foetidum, an entirely different
plant looking nothing like koriander that is indigenous to the West
Indies that tastes like koriander and is commonly used in Central
American cooking. This plant is not thought to have originated in the
Mediterranean and is indigenous to Central America. The common
Mexican terminology for Eryngium foetidum is apparently "Cilantro
extranjero", or simply "Cilantro". I was recently at a BBQ with some
native American indians from Central America and when I mentioned
Cilantro or Culantro, they seemed to clearly recognize I did not
mean koriander and clearly understood that Eryngium foetidum was
Cilantro which was same as "Cilantro extranjero". They pointed me
to a local grocer of columbian decent that sold large bags of
Eryngium foetidum seeds.

I would be very greatful if there is an academic here with good working
knowledge of plant systematics who could clarify this discrepancy.

Dominic

Old 15-09-2005, 08:13 PM
**Developer**

Commonly, the leaves of this annual plant are called cilantro, a Spanish
name--while the seeds take their name from the Greek koros, or "bug," for
their reputedly "buggy" smell while still unripe.

.

Old 15-09-2005, 08:17 PM
**Developer**

But is coriander a spice or a herb? Technically, the word coriander can be
used to describe the entire plant: leaves, stems, seeds, and all. However,
when speaking of coriander, most people are referring to the spice produced
from the seeds of the plant. The leaves of the plant are commonly called
cilantro, which comes from the Spanish word for coriander.

Old 15-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Doug Freyburger

**Developer** wrote:

But is coriander a spice or a herb?

Depends on how you use the two words. Herb equals flavoring
plant material that can be locally grown. Spice equals
flavoring plant material that can not be locally grown
without special equipment. Local vs remote. It's not the
official definition set, but some people appear to use a
similar sort of distinction.

So to me basil is an herb (it's growing in my balcony)
while nutmeg is a spice (I would need a hothouse to grow
a nutmeg bush).

There's also seed vs rest of plant, making cinnimon an
herb and peanut butter a spice.

Old 16-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Dominic-Luc Webb

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, **Developer** wrote:

Commonly, the leaves of this annual plant are called cilantro, a Spanish
name--while the seeds take their name from the Greek koros, or "bug," for
their reputedly "buggy" smell while still unripe.

So it seems. I think Cilantro in Spanish has several variants. Cilantro
extranjero, for instance, is not Koriander. The "extranjero" appendage
to the name indicates (by several accounts) Eryngium foetidum, sometimes
called "Culantro". Culantro is soemtimes identified as koriander, perhaps
it is just not spelled exactly right. This creates some confusion.

Dominic-Luc Webb

Old 16-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Paulo da Costa

Dominic-Luc Webb wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, BinaryBill wrote:

Dominic

FYI Cilantro is spanish for coriander, they are the same plant

Not sure yet. I thought I had this figured out, but maybe
not.

Cilantro is by some accounts Coriandrum sativum, and the latin
scientific name is definitely koriander that is believed to have
originated in the Mediterranean. [...]

"Cilantro" is the name used for this plant in American English. It is
called "coriander" in English. Here in California, I've never seen it
used to mean a different plant.

[...] By other accounts, Cilantro,
also spelled "Culantro" is Eryngium foetidum, an entirely different
plant looking nothing like koriander that is indigenous to the West
Indies that tastes like koriander and is commonly used in Central
American cooking. [...]

Here in California, Mexican dishes use the same Coriandrum sativum as
Indian or Vietnamese dishes. The other herb, Eryngium foetidum, may look
different but it's not that different, both are in the carrot family.
The English name is apparently "long coriander".

[...] This plant is not thought to have originated in the
Mediterranean and is indigenous to Central America. The common
Mexican terminology for Eryngium foetidum is apparently "Cilantro
extranjero", or simply "Cilantro". [...]

Apparently the same terminology is used as far as Thailand. You can find
lots of information about herbs and spices, including their names in
many languages, he

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/

Paulo

Old 16-09-2005, 04:44 PM
The Cook

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:31:05 +0200, Dominic-Luc Webb
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, **Developer** wrote:

Commonly, the leaves of this annual plant are called cilantro, a Spanish
name--while the seeds take their name from the Greek koros, or "bug," for
their reputedly "buggy" smell while still unripe.

So it seems. I think Cilantro in Spanish has several variants. Cilantro
extranjero, for instance, is not Koriander. The "extranjero" appendage
to the name indicates (by several accounts) Eryngium foetidum, sometimes
called "Culantro". Culantro is soemtimes identified as koriander, perhaps
it is just not spelled exactly right. This creates some confusion.

Dominic-Luc Webb

Here is an excellent reference for the names of herbs and spices in
many languages. http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/
He also gives the Latin name.
--
Susan N.

Old 16-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Dominic-Luc Webb

Apparently the same terminology is used as far as Thailand. You can find
lots of information about herbs and spices, including their names in
many languages, he

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/

Paulo

Thanks bunches Paulo and also Susan, who also sent same link.
I'll definitely bookmark this one!

Dominic-Luc Webb