Old 21-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]
Glad to hear it, I was beginning to think we were getting our

Tomatoes
stolen from our allotment as we hadn't got one fully ripe one yet.
Seems it's the weather then.
Green Tomato chutney you can keep, yuk!

Hear, hear! As far as I'm concerned the stuff is even more wasteful
than throwing them on the heap. I once made an experimental batch of
very hot pickle with Indian flavours which wasn't too bad, but it
didn't seem worth it.

Any that don't ripen go on the
compost heap here.

Don't you ripen them indoors? Lawrence D. Hills memorably said a
picked tomato was "as full of life as a fertile egg". It works quite
well; but I don't suppose it's worth bothering if you have plenty of
normally-ripened ones.

--
Mike.