Old 22-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Pat Kiewicz

said:

Hi All,

Two weeks ago I began composting for the first time, and I have two
questions about fungus in the compost:

1. Can I throw poisonous mushrooms (i.e. Amanita virosa) into a compost
pile?

Since you don't eat the compost, I don't see why not.

2. Can penicillin from citrus molds slow down decomposition by killing
microorganisms?

Not that I've ever noticed (small amount of citrus, large pile). The mold
might be able to keep the citrus remnants all to themselves for a while, but
that's about it. The rest of the microorganisms will just keep on going.

(attributed to Don Marti)