Old 22-08-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Fungus in the Compost

Hi All,

Two weeks ago I began composting for the first time, and I have two
questions about fungus in the compost:

1. Can I throw poisonous mushrooms (i.e. Amanita virosa) into a compost
pile?

2. Can penicillin from citrus molds slow down decomposition by killing
microorganisms?

Thanks,

C.W.

Old 22-08-2005, 01:53 PM

Fungi are one of the mechanisms of a compost pile.

Old 22-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

Two weeks ago I began composting for the first time, and I have two
questions about fungus in the compost:

1. Can I throw poisonous mushrooms (i.e. Amanita virosa) into a compost
pile?

2. Can penicillin from citrus molds slow down decomposition by killing
microorganisms?

Thanks,

C.W.

Interesting question about the poisonous mushrooms. I don't know the answer.
Do you know how long the toxins last after the mushroom decomposes? Do you
use the compost on edible plants eventually? Might be worth a call to your
cooperative extension.

Old 23-08-2005, 02:54 AM

Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

Two weeks ago I began composting for the first time, and I have two
questions about fungus in the compost:

1. Can I throw poisonous mushrooms (i.e. Amanita virosa) into a compost
pile?

2. Can penicillin from citrus molds slow down decomposition by killing
microorganisms?

Thanks,

C.W.

Interesting question about the poisonous mushrooms. I don't know the answer.
Do you know how long the toxins last after the mushroom decomposes? Do you
use the compost on edible plants eventually? Might be worth a call to your
cooperative extension.

Toxin from poisonous amanita is a protein, but I'm not sure how long it
takes to break down. On the other hand, the poison may be a good souce
of nitrogen for plants. I plan to use the compost for fruit trees.

Old 23-08-2005, 03:26 AM
Doug Miller

In article .com, wrote:

Toxin from poisonous amanita is a protein, but I'm not sure how long it
takes to break down. On the other hand, the poison may be a good souce
of nitrogen for plants. I plan to use the compost for fruit trees.

According to one source
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...roscopy-uk.org.
uk/mag/artjun00/jpfungi.html
the typical amanita cap contains 30 to 90 milligrams of toxin. You'd have to
have thousands of them before the toxin would provide enough nitrogran to
measure, except with laboratory instruments.

--
Regards,

Old 23-08-2005, 04:09 AM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Good luck. Let us know how that goes! :-)