Old 08-12-2002, 08:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default From 2000 to 200 squaremeters

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from (Vera Gade) contains these words:

I have not any experience of this special kind of gardening - up trailing
in trellage in stark sunshine - I with my old shady and bushy garden with
the oldfashioned rosbushes. What am I to grow? What am I to look out for?

Glad you are settling in at your new home.How about clematis tangutica
for your trellis ? Pretty yellow flowers for a long period and a second
show in autumn/winter from the feathery ball seedheads. It likes its
head in the sun but cool roots.

And not too worried if it doesn't get them! Pruning is easy, too,
as it need just shearing back sometime in winter.

Other good plants for such situations are Akebia quinata and
Lonicera x tellmanniana (which gets wiped out by aphids in shade).
I am growing a fair number of other plants that way, but they
haven't been through a dry summer (or a hard winter) yet. Several
other clematis do fairly well with hot roots, but don't bother with
Lonicera japonica as it goes awfully bare.

If you get enough sun and it is warm enough, Campsis x taglibuana
is very good! As probably are several jasmines, but I haven't got
even J. officinale to flower at all well.

You obviously don't want Clematis armandii or Passiflora caerulea
(or, indeed, most evergreens) on the grounds of allowing winter
light. You can't really see through them, anyway.

It is worth having a go with Eccremocarpus scaber, because you will
lose little if it doesn't like it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:

Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679