Old 08-12-2002, 05:25 PM
Vera Gade

Default From 2000 to 200 squaremeters

After 40 years I have moved to just a tenth of my former garden. And this
time I start from scratch, just as the last time- and I feel it very
exciting! What I have had you can see in my homepage at the urg-website.(
A few last pictures will be added soon. And then gooodbye. No sad
feelings. A lifetime's work is finished and now comes the happy grande
finale- I hope;-)
What I got: at first a builders place with clay and gravel, later covered
with ready-made lawn. A strip between the house-facade and the street of
about 7 m and 25 m along in the southside, then to the west around the
corner another 12 x 6 m. And a little strip to the east of about 10 x 4 m.
I'm living in the basement of a two-stored house with 4 tenants. I think
i've got the very best situation according to sunshine! Nothing growing
around our two houses but a row a very good big rowans. Bless them, what
berries this year!
I started replacing the tiny ugly concret terrass with a spaceous 40 sq.m
lovely large slates, hoping for a lot of container-growing. And then I
planted a few Thuja occidentalis "Smaragd" by the terrace just to see the
effect. When spring comes I will plant this thuja all around the garden
onto the street to get some fast shelter- also in wintertime- I have no
time to wait for small bushes to grow big;-(It will cost me a fortune -
but the saying is: you can't take "it" with you, and my children aren't
so greedy that they make any complaints ;-)
Parallel with the 25 m of thuja-hedge at the south border I will plant a
similar hedge with a 2 m wide walk (perhaps I will use gravel on this walk
between the hedges to plant small things like thymus a.s.o. ) and then I
have some 3 m for a grass-walk along the side of the house.
Now is the URG-question coming up- at last: Outside my 5 windows I'm
thinking of constructing whitepainted open wooden screens 1 m from the
housefacade for the planting of roses and clematis. Imagine me sitting in
my kitchen or studio and looking out through the flowers rambling with the
sunlight shining through and in contrast with the green thujas! Wow!
Dreams!The substance of gardening.
I have not any experience of this special kind of gardening - up trailing
in trellage in stark sunshine - I with my old shady and bushy garden with
the oldfashioned rosbushes. What am I to grow? What am I to look out for?
Problems? Of course it is milder and damper in England, but I don't know -
the climat is obviosly changing this years, so perhaps I will have
UK-conditions in the future!
Excuse me for this long posting - but the dreams are forcing there way along.
Greetings from Vera

--
VERA GADE NORRKOPING
VERA @GADE.SE
Old 08-12-2002, 08:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from (Vera Gade) contains these words:

I have not any experience of this special kind of gardening - up trailing
in trellage in stark sunshine - I with my old shady and bushy garden with
the oldfashioned rosbushes. What am I to grow? What am I to look out for?

Glad you are settling in at your new home.How about clematis tangutica
for your trellis ? Pretty yellow flowers for a long period and a second
show in autumn/winter from the feathery ball seedheads. It likes its
head in the sun but cool roots.

And not too worried if it doesn't get them! Pruning is easy, too,
as it need just shearing back sometime in winter.

Other good plants for such situations are Akebia quinata and
Lonicera x tellmanniana (which gets wiped out by aphids in shade).
I am growing a fair number of other plants that way, but they
haven't been through a dry summer (or a hard winter) yet. Several
other clematis do fairly well with hot roots, but don't bother with
Lonicera japonica as it goes awfully bare.

If you get enough sun and it is warm enough, Campsis x taglibuana
is very good! As probably are several jasmines, but I haven't got
even J. officinale to flower at all well.

You obviously don't want Clematis armandii or Passiflora caerulea
(or, indeed, most evergreens) on the grounds of allowing winter
light. You can't really see through them, anyway.

It is worth having a go with Eccremocarpus scaber, because you will
lose little if it doesn't like it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:

Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 09-12-2002, 06:59 PM
Sarah Dale

On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 17:25:19 +0000, Vera Gade wrote:

Now is the URG-question coming up- at last: Outside my 5 windows I'm
thinking of constructing whitepainted open wooden screens 1 m from the
housefacade for the planting of roses and clematis. Imagine me sitting in
my kitchen or studio and looking out through the flowers rambling with the
sunlight shining through and in contrast with the green thujas! Wow!
Dreams!The substance of gardening.
I have not any experience of this special kind of gardening - up trailing
in trellage in stark sunshine - I with my old shady and bushy garden with
the oldfashioned rosbushes. What am I to grow? What am I to look out for?
Problems? Of course it is milder and damper in England, but I don't know -
the climat is obviosly changing this years, so perhaps I will have
UK-conditions in the future!

Hej Vera,

I hope you have many happy years with your new garden.

I have some experience of rose and clematis up trellis / posts, and have
the following comments.

Rambler type climbing roses are easier to train in than HT climbing roses.
Training in any climbing rose is a work of patience, body armour and
strong gloves!. The more frequently you train the rose in the better and
easier it goes. There is also a fine balance to find between training the
stem in when it is too young, and bending / crushing it accidently, and
when it is too old and to stiff to train where you want it.

Madame Alfred Carriere was the easiest rose out of our batch of climbers
to train - it is very voluminous and prolific in growing stems!

Clematis aren't any bother to train, you just have to be *very* careful if
you ever need to unwind one from where it has grown - it is very easy to
snap. Obviously if it has grown through something else, following the
"correct" pruninh regime is very difficult.

The only other thing is that the climbers romping away tend to end up at
the top of the trellis, leaving the bottom bare - but a nice oppourtunity
for some low growing bushy plants to fill the hole ;-)

Regards,

Sarah
Old 11-12-2002, 07:25 PM
Vera Gade

snip
Be grateful for your new, much smaller garden: now you can get
rid of all the second-rate and mediocre plants, as well as those
you are not absolutely crazy about, and have a garden of only the
very, very best.
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Yes! that's the thing! Woopee! Thank you everybody replying. I am busy
with catalouges and reference-books, Nick, in this ugly gray and cold
weather. Too early,eh;-? I don't think we have those Canadian-rose in
Sweden, although the Austin-roses are coming in the last years and they
must be more tender? The problem is to blend the different plants
together, so one don't take the better over the other. I think there will
be some good opportunities for ground- planting. Lavender is obvious,
should go better here in the sun, never did any good in my former garden.
But I know other places where they were quite good, but never as you can
see them in UK: I think it was at Castle Howard- in the walled
rose-garden- I did see them at their very best years ago.Oh yes, and in
the rose-garden at Mottisfont. Lovely to remember a day like this. The
hot, sunny,colourful fragrant rooms! Let me have a bit of it - soon!
Hej from vera

--
VERA GADE NORRKOPING
VERA @GADE.SE