Old 22-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
"denise" writes:

| I'm new to this group hoping for some help with a Silver Birch in the
| back garden which currently has 45% leaf damage. The top of the tree
| (about 35 foot high) is still green. Leaves have been steadily falling
| for 2-3 weeks now and are yellow with black spots on them which is
| presumably fungal. Does anyone know a way to combat this, what with and
| how? Thank you.

Dunno, but prepare yourself for the tree to die. Silver birches
are not long-lived trees in fertile soils, and are very prone to
fungal infections. The fact that they also have more mycorrhizal
associations than any other British species confuses the issue!

Note that I am not recommending getting rid of it until it DOES
die, but merely saying that it probably will.

Sorry, but ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.