Old 22-08-2005, 11:40 AM
denise

Default silver birch

Hi,
I'm new to this group hoping for some help with a Silver Birch in the
back garden which currently has 45% leaf damage. The top of the tree
(about 35 foot high) is still green. Leaves have been steadily falling
for 2-3 weeks now and are yellow with black spots on them which is
presumably fungal. Does anyone know a way to combat this, what with and
how? Thank you.

Old 22-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
"denise" writes:

| I'm new to this group hoping for some help with a Silver Birch in the
| back garden which currently has 45% leaf damage. The top of the tree
| (about 35 foot high) is still green. Leaves have been steadily falling
| for 2-3 weeks now and are yellow with black spots on them which is
| presumably fungal. Does anyone know a way to combat this, what with and
| how? Thank you.

Dunno, but prepare yourself for the tree to die. Silver birches
are not long-lived trees in fertile soils, and are very prone to
fungal infections. The fact that they also have more mycorrhizal
associations than any other British species confuses the issue!

Note that I am not recommending getting rid of it until it DOES
die, but merely saying that it probably will.

Sorry, but ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Pam Moore

In article . com,
"denise" writes:

| I'm new to this group hoping for some help with a Silver Birch in the
| back garden which currently has 45% leaf damage. The top of the tree
| (about 35 foot high) is still green. Leaves have been steadily falling
| for 2-3 weeks now and are yellow with black spots on them which is
| presumably fungal. Does anyone know a way to combat this, what with and
| how? Thank you.

Birches are shallow rooted and it may be suffering from drought if it
has been as dry where you are.
Try giving it a thorough soaking and wait till next Spring. Think
positive! A lot of trees in my area are looking sad.

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

Birches are shallow rooted and it may be suffering from drought if it
has been as dry where you are.

I am pretty sure that the depth to which they root varies immensely
with the type of soil, and it is possible that shallow rooting in
the richer soils is one cause of their short life on them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-08-2005, 09:55 PM
denise

Pam Moore wrote:
In article . com,
"denise" writes:

| I'm new to this group hoping for some help with a Silver Birch in the
| back garden which currently has 45% leaf damage. The top of the tree
| (about 35 foot high) is still green. Leaves have been steadily falling
| for 2-3 weeks now and are yellow with black spots on them which is
| presumably fungal. Does anyone know a way to combat this, what with and
| how? Thank you.

Birches are shallow rooted and it may be suffering from drought if it
has been as dry where you are.
Try giving it a thorough soaking and wait till next Spring. Think
positive! A lot of trees in my area are looking sad.

Pam in Bristol

Dear Pam and Nick, thank for your positive advice. There is indeed
brown patches on the grass under the tree so drought may well be a
contributing factor. I have watered profusely tonight and am very
hopeful for some improvement.

Denise