Old 23-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Michael Persiano

John:

We are talking about restoration for your Juniper. There is little in print on the subject, and many practitioner take the wrong trail when it comes to executing a repair that will last for the life of the tree while not detracting from the aesthetics.

All of the rot must be removed from the base of the trunk, and a water repellent substance must be applied to separate the wood from the soil. I really need to see your tree before I can tell you to use Marine Epoxy (sealant and cosmetic when mixed with white colloidal silica), Cuprinol (as a sealant), etc.

As for the root rot, you will need to cut all of the roots back to their white cores. At that point, and this is debatable, I would soak the tree (bare rooted) in a fungicidal solution for 15 minutes. Subsequently, repot the tree in fresh soil and be certain that you scrubbed the pot.

Place the Juniper in indirect sunlight for one week and then move it into a growing position. I would apply Root 2 liquid to stimulate root growth and mix it with a 20-20-20 fertilizer. The tree should not be allowed to freeze this winter.

If you send me a picture, I can advise you on the restoration work.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob