Old 22-08-2005, 09:45 PM
John Dhom

Default Stressed Juniper - deadwood/rot treatment planning

In the continuing saga of my [somewhat less] stressed juniper I'm sorting
out when and how to treat the deadwood on the tree. The tree is still
located in a morning sun area til I see signs that it's starting to thrive.
The tree got an overnight soaking and treatment for pests (mostly ants) a
couple weeks ago. I also did a light cleanup of dead foliage so I could
better track it's progress. There are continued signs of new growth.

I started inspecting the deadwood on the trunk near base and found some
rotted areas. I poked around with my [rounded] tweezers and quite a bit of
rotted wood came off. There is one large and one small area visible in the
pics. There is an unknown amount of soft wood on the back side but it's hard
to see given current placement and support board.

So, how urgent is the treatment of the deadwood? Any references to removal
of deadwood?

Oh, I just started using the macro mode on this camera... quite an
improvement in level of detail

HI-res pics...

before shot...
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...loseup-big.jpg
after shots...
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...verview-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...loseup1-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...loseup2-hi.jpg
foliage shots for context...
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...oilage1-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...oilage2-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...oilage3-hi.jpg

LO-res [for the bandwidth impaired ]

before shot...
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...seup-small.jpg
after shots...
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...verview-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...loseup1-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...loseup2-lo.JPG
foliage shots for context...
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...oilage1-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...oilage2-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...oilage3-lo.JPG

--
Best,
John

Nashville area
Zone 6, Sunset 33

Old 22-08-2005, 09:55 PM
John Dhom

"John Dhom" wrote in message
So, how urgent is the treatment of the deadwood? Any references to removal
of deadwood?

I meant removal of the rot... followed by treatment. Especially the rot
areas at the base of the trunk.

--
Best,
John

Nashville area
Zone 6, Sunset 33

Old 22-08-2005, 11:28 PM
Marty Haber

Looks like a LOT of rot under there. If it were mine, I'd be merciless in
cleaning it out with a die grinder. Even if you end up with one inch width
of healthy trunk, you'd be better off than allowing the rot to sit there and
spread to whatever healthy wood is left. Then use Minwax wood hardener to
close up what's left. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.
Marty Haber

Old 23-08-2005, 12:34 AM
John Dhom

How would you contrast the urgency of re-vitalizing the roots/tree with the
need to clean up the rot?

--
Best,
John

Nashville area
Zone 6, Sunset 33

Old 23-08-2005, 02:33 AM
Marty Haber

#1. clean up the rot
#2. leave the roots alone until the beginning of the next growing sesason.
How would you contrast the urgency of re-vitalizing the roots/tree with
the
need to clean up the rot?

--
Best,
John

Nashville area
Zone 6, Sunset 33

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 23-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Michael Persiano

John:

We are talking about restoration for your Juniper. There is little in print on the subject, and many practitioner take the wrong trail when it comes to executing a repair that will last for the life of the tree while not detracting from the aesthetics.

All of the rot must be removed from the base of the trunk, and a water repellent substance must be applied to separate the wood from the soil. I really need to see your tree before I can tell you to use Marine Epoxy (sealant and cosmetic when mixed with white colloidal silica), Cuprinol (as a sealant), etc.

As for the root rot, you will need to cut all of the roots back to their white cores. At that point, and this is debatable, I would soak the tree (bare rooted) in a fungicidal solution for 15 minutes. Subsequently, repot the tree in fresh soil and be certain that you scrubbed the pot.

Place the Juniper in indirect sunlight for one week and then move it into a growing position. I would apply Root 2 liquid to stimulate root growth and mix it with a 20-20-20 fertilizer. The tree should not be allowed to freeze this winter.

If you send me a picture, I can advise you on the restoration work.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

Old 23-08-2005, 10:53 PM
John Dhom

Hi Michael,

There are close-up shots of base at soil line in original post. Below are a
series of shots I did today to try and provide some context for the design.
Had some trouble with backdrop by myself... in the wind... lol. In any case
I'm sure you will find some of them useful. Will take some shots when it's
out of the pot for rot removal.

Had planned to do a rot'ectimy [above the soil line] soonest. Guess it makes
sense to get in there and see what's going on / clean it up. What about
temperature considerations (95+ degrees here last few weeks) for working on
juniper roots.?.? Was going to wait til fall or next season to do roots.

Appreciate your kind offer to comment on restoration.

--
Best,
John

Nashville area
Zone 6, Sunset 33

HI-RES
4 shots moving clockwise
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...ign1-cw-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...ign2-cw-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...ign3-cw-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...ign4-cw-hi.jpg

4 top shots moving clockwise
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...top1-cw-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...top2-cw-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...top3-cw-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...top4-cw-hi.jpg

misc
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...loseup1-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...loseup1-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...-headon-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...-bottom-hi.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...emerges-hi.jpg

LO-RES
4 shots moving clockwise
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...ign1-cw-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...ign2-cw-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...ign3-cw-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...ign4-cw-lo.JPG

4 top shots moving clockwise
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...top1-cw-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...top2-cw-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...top3-cw-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...top4-cw-lo.JPG

misc
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...loseup1-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...emerges-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...loseup1-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...-headon-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...-bottom-lo.JPG

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
[IBC] Stressed Juniper - deadwood/rot treatment planning Michael Persiano Bonsai 0 24-08-2005 02:08 PM
new juniper - stressed - need help with plan of attack John Dhom Bonsai 3 11-08-2005 01:25 AM
[IBC] new juniper - stressed - need help with plan of attack Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 10-08-2005 08:16 PM
[IBC] Preserving Bougie deadwood Bart Thomas Bonsai 11 20-10-2004 04:45 PM