Old 23-08-2005, 09:55 PM
denise

Pam Moore wrote:
In article . com,
"denise" writes:

| I'm new to this group hoping for some help with a Silver Birch in the
| back garden which currently has 45% leaf damage. The top of the tree
| (about 35 foot high) is still green. Leaves have been steadily falling
| for 2-3 weeks now and are yellow with black spots on them which is
| presumably fungal. Does anyone know a way to combat this, what with and
| how? Thank you.

Birches are shallow rooted and it may be suffering from drought if it
has been as dry where you are.
Try giving it a thorough soaking and wait till next Spring. Think
positive! A lot of trees in my area are looking sad.

Pam in Bristol

Dear Pam and Nick, thank for your positive advice. There is indeed
brown patches on the grass under the tree so drought may well be a
contributing factor. I have watered profusely tonight and am very
hopeful for some improvement.

Denise