Old 24-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Pat Kiewicz

said:

thanks for the suggestion about serviceberry - I'm a little concerned
that a berry tree will make a mess over the air conditioning units
(berries falling in to the vents). ANyone have experience with this?

I know all about how messy some berry trees (mulberries!) can be.
Never had a mess with my serviceberry. The fruit are not extremely
juicey and birds tend to make off with them when they are barely mature
anyway. Fruit dropping has never been issue. My favorite serviceberry
visitors are Cedar Waxwings and orioles, the most common visitors
are robins. (Mobs of them.)

(attributed to Don Marti)