Old 22-08-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Shrub/Small Tree Suggestion (Zone 5)

I am looking to shade-in my air conditioning units with a small tree or
a few tall shrubs. They are close to the hosue so I wouldn't plant
anything that gets bigger then about 15' I am in NE Ohio (Zone 5) and
the area is in full sun with clay soil. Ideally I'd like somthing
either fragrant or with showy flowers (or both!) I was thinking lilac
or mock-orange, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I would
welcome them.
thanks!

Old 23-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I am looking to shade-in my air conditioning units with a small tree or a few tall shrubs. They are close to the hosue so I wouldn't plant anything that gets bigger then about 15' I am in NE Ohio (Zone 5) and the area is in full sun with clay soil. Ideally I'd like somthing either fragrant or with showy flowers (or both!) I was thinking lilac or mock-orange, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I would welcome them. thanks!
How about a fragrant Viburnum burkwoodii?
http://flowerscentgardens.com/viburnumburk.htm

The fragrant and interesting Heptacodium miconioides aka Seven Sons Tree
http://www.rainyside.com/features/pl...conioides.html

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 23-08-2005, 01:28 PM
LAH

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking to shade-in my air conditioning units with a small tree or
a few tall shrubs. They are close to the hosue so I wouldn't plant
anything that gets bigger then about 15' I am in NE Ohio (Zone 5) and
the area is in full sun with clay soil. Ideally I'd like somthing
either fragrant or with showy flowers (or both!) I was thinking lilac
or mock-orange, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I would
welcome them.
thanks!

How about a serviceberry? Some like the Amelanchier Grandiflora (
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p....asp?code=B240 )are more
tree like and others like the Amelanchier Canadensis (
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p....asp?code=J290 ) are
more shrub like. In large part it depends upon how you prune as to whether
you have a small tree or shrub. These are one of my favorite plants!

Old 23-08-2005, 02:01 PM

Thanks Newt!
I'm not sure the Viburnum would be tall enough but the Heptacodium
looks like a good option, assuming it can handle the clay soil and zone
5 (from what I've read it seems marginally zone 5 and with the clay
soil I wonder if it won't freeze)

Old 23-08-2005, 02:05 PM

thanks for the suggestion about serviceberry - I'm a little concerned
that a berry tree will make a mess over the air conditioning units
(berries falling in to the vents). ANyone have experience with this?