Old 24-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Doug Kanter

OK. I asked because that's an important factor in minimizing weed growth:
Higher grass. During hot, dry weather, many grass varieties grow more
slowly, and the weeds are more easily able to dominate. I can't help you
with your questions about weed killers, because I won't use them. But,
however you achieve your goal, you may want to mow higher and less often
during hot weather. You may wonder if the neighbors think the lawn looks
ratty, but they really don't care, unless it gets totally out of hand.
Having said that, you may correct me if Westchester has Neat Lawn Death
Squads wandering the streets. :-)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I do. Height? Self-propelled mower half way up. ~3 inches?

Doug Kanter wrote:
Who mows your lawn, and at what height?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello group,
I am 1 hour north of New York City.
This year, my lawn has become overrun with crabgrass and other nasty
weeds. There are areas that are mostly weed, and areas that are mostly
grass(bluegrass/rye). This has not occurred in the 7 years I have been
here. Anyway, I would like to take some action now if possible. I have
a 100x100ft lot with my home on it.

1) Is there any fertilizer combo weed killer that I can put down on the
entire lawn now?
2) Can I also seed most of the lawn in combination with 1) now?

I guess what I am asking is that is there an alternative to killing all
the weeds with straight weed killer, waiting for them to die off, then
seeding and fertilizing? Most of the lawn care plans I see state to
ferilize/seed now, and apply weedkiller/fertilizer in the spring. But I
do not want to fertilize the weeds now!