Old 24-08-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Weeds galore this year - what to do

Hello group,
I am 1 hour north of New York City.
This year, my lawn has become overrun with crabgrass and other nasty
weeds. There are areas that are mostly weed, and areas that are mostly
grass(bluegrass/rye). This has not occurred in the 7 years I have been
here. Anyway, I would like to take some action now if possible. I have
a 100x100ft lot with my home on it.

1) Is there any fertilizer combo weed killer that I can put down on the
entire lawn now?
2) Can I also seed most of the lawn in combination with 1) now?

I guess what I am asking is that is there an alternative to killing all
the weeds with straight weed killer, waiting for them to die off, then
seeding and fertilizing? Most of the lawn care plans I see state to
ferilize/seed now, and apply weedkiller/fertilizer in the spring. But I
do not want to fertilize the weeds now!

Old 24-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Doug Kanter

OK. I asked because that's an important factor in minimizing weed growth:
Higher grass. During hot, dry weather, many grass varieties grow more
slowly, and the weeds are more easily able to dominate. I can't help you
with your questions about weed killers, because I won't use them. But,
however you achieve your goal, you may want to mow higher and less often
during hot weather. You may wonder if the neighbors think the lawn looks
ratty, but they really don't care, unless it gets totally out of hand.
Having said that, you may correct me if Westchester has Neat Lawn Death
Squads wandering the streets. :-)

oups.com...

Old 25-08-2005, 12:32 AM

This year, my lawn has become overrun with crabgrass and other nasty
weeds. There are areas that are mostly weed, and areas that are mostly
grass(bluegrass/rye). This has not occurred in the 7 years I have been
here. Anyway, I would like to take some action now if possible. I have
a 100x100ft lot with my home on it.

The beginning of the ideal time to seed is still 2+ weeks away. I'd
treat the weed problems now and then over-seed if necessary in 3-4
weeks. If the lawn has been doing well until now, you may not even
need to do the seeding. I'd use a tank sprayer and treat the broadlead
weeds with a product like Weed B Gone and I'd use Acclaim on the
crabgrass. Don't apply the broadlead weedkiller on the crabgrass with
the Acclaim, it will reduce the effectiveness. Also, these work best
if the weeds and grass are actively growing, ie, you don't want it
extremely dry. If you do this now, you can do any overseeding in 3-4
weeks. If you want the option of overseeding, then I'd apply a starter
fertilizer in early Sept. That will get the existing grass going too.

As Doug suggested, cutting the grass high in the future is a good
practice. But when you're over-seeding, you want to cut it relatively
short before seeding.

Old 25-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...

As Doug suggested, cutting the grass high in the future is a good
practice. But when you're over-seeding, you want to cut it relatively
short before seeding.

Right. And, if you manually rip out weeds in certain spots, leaving them
bare, get yourself some burlap and a way of holding it in place (bricks,
baseball-size rocks). Burlap shades the area so it stays damp longer, like
when you're away at work and can't cater to the seed for 8-10 hours at a
time. And, it protects the seeds from birds. The new grass will grow through
the holes, and you can lift the burlap off easily at that point. It also
breaks up the sprinkler spray or rain so seed won't get splattered out of
place.

It's nuts to consider burlap for a whole lawn, obviously, but it's a great
tool for selected spots.

Old 25-08-2005, 02:14 PM

Northern Putnam County does not have Neat Lawn Death Squads. What we
have here are Neat Lawn Obsessive Compulsive wives.I dont worry about
the neighbors, the grass is no greener on the other side. I didn't mow
for 3 weeks straight this Aug due to lack o rain.

Doug Kanter wrote:
OK. I asked because that's an important factor in minimizing weed growth:
Higher grass. During hot, dry weather, many grass varieties grow more
slowly, and the weeds are more easily able to dominate. I can't help you
with your questions about weed killers, because I won't use them. But,
however you achieve your goal, you may want to mow higher and less often
during hot weather. You may wonder if the neighbors think the lawn looks
ratty, but they really don't care, unless it gets totally out of hand.
Having said that, you may correct me if Westchester has Neat Lawn Death
Squads wandering the streets. :-)

oups.com...

Old 25-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Doug Kanter

The wives are probably worse than the death squads.

oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
OK. I asked because that's an important factor in minimizing weed growth:
Higher grass. During hot, dry weather, many grass varieties grow more
slowly, and the weeds are more easily able to dominate. I can't help you
with your questions about weed killers, because I won't use them. But,
however you achieve your goal, you may want to mow higher and less often
during hot weather. You may wonder if the neighbors think the lawn looks
ratty, but they really don't care, unless it gets totally out of hand.
Having said that, you may correct me if Westchester has Neat Lawn Death
Squads wandering the streets. :-)

oups.com...

Old 28-08-2005, 05:04 AM
Bert Byfield

Just pull them out of the ground and throw them in the trash that is hauled
away.

Old 29-08-2005, 02:35 PM

Can you purchase Acclaim via a retail store? If so, where?

Try Lesco, they should have a location near you or via online.

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Phals galore! Reka Orchids 5 20-04-2004 01:03 AM
Odp: Phals galore! samaki Orchids 0 19-04-2004 11:06 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM
tomatoes galore! lieven Edible Gardening 0 27-01-2003 09:49 PM