Old 24-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Gary Woods

Default Murder most foul/ Mrs. Slocum obit

Well, I knew that muskrats had moved back into my earth pond by the cut
cattails, but hadn't gotten around to calling the trapper yet. Yesterday
morning, I found that Mrs. Perry D. Slocum was no more. Not only were the
leaves and two big flower buds scattered all around the pond, the roots had
been dug out of their bushel tub and presumably eater- not a trace of
tubers anywhere! A friend described the muskrat's parentage and sexual
habits if colorful terms I only vaguely remember from my Navy days. Traps
have been set, but no revenge just yet.
They came back last night and cut all the leaves off my white/pale yellow
"mystery" lotus. Some digging in the tub, but most roots left behind....
I've dragged it into the shallows, and will cover tonight to hopefully save
it from the same horrible fate.
They haven't touched the inexpensive and easily propagated hardy lilies...

Grumble, mutter, curse,