Old 24-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Gary Woods

Default Murder most foul/ Mrs. Slocum obit

Well, I knew that muskrats had moved back into my earth pond by the cut
cattails, but hadn't gotten around to calling the trapper yet. Yesterday
morning, I found that Mrs. Perry D. Slocum was no more. Not only were the
leaves and two big flower buds scattered all around the pond, the roots had
been dug out of their bushel tub and presumably eater- not a trace of
tubers anywhere! A friend described the muskrat's parentage and sexual
habits if colorful terms I only vaguely remember from my Navy days. Traps
have been set, but no revenge just yet.
They came back last night and cut all the leaves off my white/pale yellow
"mystery" lotus. Some digging in the tub, but most roots left behind....
I've dragged it into the shallows, and will cover tonight to hopefully save
it from the same horrible fate.
They haven't touched the inexpensive and easily propagated hardy lilies...

Grumble, mutter, curse,

Old 24-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
[...]

=================================
Whew,... how discouraging. :-( Muskrats are one of the few pond pests we
don't have here. Oddly enough I had a friend in Nashville, in a subdivision
bordering a creek that had constant problems with them eating through her
liner. She finally had someone come in and line the walls of her pond with
metal sheeting. She had to replace the liner as well. It had patches over
patches.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 24-08-2005, 08:12 PM
kathy

Poor Mrs. Slocum!

My grandmother had a muskrat fur coat,
they make a nice coat!

Christopher Lloyd obit. Sacha United Kingdom 0 30-01-2006 02:59 PM
Mrs. Slocum in bloom Gary Woods Ponds 2 29-07-2005 03:03 AM
Mrs. Slocum has two lovely little buds! Gary Woods Ponds 1 15-07-2005 02:49 AM
anyone have a foul smelling orchid? nightwriter Orchids 12 05-08-2003 04:18 AM