Old 25-08-2005, 06:20 PM
David Bockman

Mark Anderson wrote in
.net:

Last March I rescued this fern from the alley that had some life in
it. I really only wanted its plastic pot but thought I'd try to bring
it back. I repotted it into a larger container and when the weather
got nicer, placed it in a spot that doesn't get too much sun.

Anyway, the leaves were mostly green with burned brown tips. After
the entire summer so far in that spot this fern hasn't grown or even
tried to recover. It still looks the same. I'm starting to think
that it's dead even though its still mostly green. I've never had
luck with growing indoor ferns even though they're supposedly one of
the easier house plants to care for. Now I'm wondering if perhaps I
should have cropped the leaves that had brown tips to stimulate some
kind of growth. Does anyone have any tips for getting these things
back to normal?

Right now I'm thinking of ditching this fern after the summer when the
plants have to come inside for the winter. I have another plant that
could use that pot but it would be nice if I could get this thing to
recover.

Sometimes 'burned tips' are actually the spores through which ferns
reproduce. Look closely.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums