Old 25-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Mark Anderson

Default Fern Question

Last March I rescued this fern from the alley that had some life in it.
I really only wanted its plastic pot but thought I'd try to bring it
back. I repotted it into a larger container and when the weather got
nicer, placed it in a spot that doesn't get too much sun.

Anyway, the leaves were mostly green with burned brown tips. After the
entire summer so far in that spot this fern hasn't grown or even tried
to recover. It still looks the same. I'm starting to think that it's
dead even though its still mostly green. I've never had luck with
growing indoor ferns even though they're supposedly one of the easier
house plants to care for. Now I'm wondering if perhaps I should have
cropped the leaves that had brown tips to stimulate some kind of growth.
Does anyone have any tips for getting these things back to normal?

Right now I'm thinking of ditching this fern after the summer when the
plants have to come inside for the winter. I have another plant that
could use that pot but it would be nice if I could get this thing to
recover.

Old 25-08-2005, 06:20 PM
David Bockman

Mark Anderson wrote in
.net:

[...]

Sometimes 'burned tips' are actually the spores through which ferns
reproduce. Look closely.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 25-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Jmagerl

IF the pot doesnt have a hole in the bottom, repot it in one that does. USe
fresh soil. Salt build up in the soil can cause brown tips.
ONce you get it in a pot with a hole, give it a shower EVERY DAY. You can
never over water a fern (if the pot drains correctly). I ferilize mine
weekly. IF its rootbound you might divide it. Just take a knife and cut the
crowns apart (Cut into quarters works for me)

IF its a Boston Fern get it out of the sunlight.

Growing a fern in winter is a bit harder. I find that direct sunlight behind
a window is needed. THe winter sun is just not strong enough to penetrate
into a room. and never ever let the root ball go dry. I put a big bucket
under mine (my wife loves me) so I can continue with the drainage. Some
people mist their ferns but I find it is just too little to do anything.

.net...

Old 25-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Mike

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
Does anyone have any tips for getting these things back to normal?

I have had more than limited success with covering the soil with duff,
using a drip carton, and the simultaneous~ cocktail of water and sunlight
(not very frequently).