Old 25-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Diana Kulaga

Deaks,

It appears that you have a Phalaenopsis. Some people trim the spent flower
spike at the third or fourth node from the bottom in order to encourage more
flowers, if the spike is still viable.

Personally, I don't do that. The plant expends a great deal of energy in
order to bloom, and now it needs to recoup. I would cut the spike all the
way down to the bottom as far as you can without cutting the plant. Do this
with a sterile blade or new single edged razor blade, which you will then
discard or keep for non-plant uses.

When it is ready, the plant will produce a new spike from the base. Remember
that Phals like a night time drop in temperature of 10-15 degrees in fall to
aid in spike production.

HTH

Diana