Old 25-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Registered User

Default Pruning

HI - I have an orchid in a pot which has stopped flowering now. The "care instructions" say cut back to just above the eye. Where is the eye????

The plant is small, three fleshy leaves at the base, one 12 inch stem with no buds, then it forks into two zigzagging branches, each with flowers (or now just the nodules where the flowers were) about every inch.

IS the "eye" one of these nodules or is it the point where the stem branches? If i cut it back to the point where the stem splits, there will be nothing but a bare stem left???? where will next years growth / flowers come from?

thanks!!!
Old 25-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Registered User

I found this article
http://www.sensiblesoftware.com/arti...id-Plants.html

do you think it means cut back the flowering branches to where they branch from the single straight stem, or cut back the stem also to where it emerges from the root ball / leaves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaks99

Old 25-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Diana Kulaga

Deaks,

It appears that you have a Phalaenopsis. Some people trim the spent flower
spike at the third or fourth node from the bottom in order to encourage more
flowers, if the spike is still viable.

Personally, I don't do that. The plant expends a great deal of energy in
order to bloom, and now it needs to recoup. I would cut the spike all the
way down to the bottom as far as you can without cutting the plant. Do this
with a sterile blade or new single edged razor blade, which you will then
discard or keep for non-plant uses.

When it is ready, the plant will produce a new spike from the base. Remember
that Phals like a night time drop in temperature of 10-15 degrees in fall to
aid in spike production.

HTH

Diana

[IBC] Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Brent Walston Bonsai 4 01-07-2004 11:02 PM
Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Andrew G Bonsai 0 30-06-2004 01:05 PM
Pruning Artemisia Polar Gardening 2 01-04-2003 05:56 AM
pruning questions rosemarie face Gardening 6 04-02-2003 07:50 AM
Hibiscus pruning T.L.Miller Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:54 PM