Old 26-08-2005, 01:23 AM
George Pontis

In article , says...

"Dan" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice; I will try mineral oil and I think I can get by
with slowing the flow rate also.

Dan

Could the Mineral oil somehow get into the tank? I already have some kind of
oilly layer on my water that I think is from the regulator, I doubt it from
any of my plants?
Also, wouldnt Nick be correct, once you have your bubble rate dialed in,
even if all the water evaporates from the bubble counter what difference
does it make?
John

What you see is a common thing in aquaria that do not have a lot of surface
agitation. It is a protein film. You can ignore it, siphon it out once in a while,
get it into suspension and filtered by increasing surface agitation, blot it up
with a paper towel, add mollies to eat it, or add a surface skimmer!

If some mineral oil were to get through it would probably appear as a globule in
the water and not as a film covering the surface. You would also see droplets of
mineral oil in the airline tubing that carries the CO2 to the tank.

I believe that Nick is correct about not needing the bubble counter once you have
it dialed in. The liquid in the chamber does not affect the flow rate to any
significant degree.