Old 28-08-2005, 04:27 AM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
our cosmos, raised from seed, have been particularly poor this year.
They go in the front garden in full sun (when it's out..!!) However
this year the show has been mostly flowerless.

I get a lot of cosmos in a first year wildflower seed planting. I think
they dominate because there are no perennials around taking up space.
Anyway, I've noticed cosmos blooming in all different stages of the
summer season here in zone 5 Chicago. Some plants bloom early and often
in June while others wait till July, August, and September. I have
noticed that for some reason some cosmos just grow into a big bush with
lots of foliage. These usually bloom late September, early to mid
October. I actually prefer this type of cosmos because the foliage
makes for a nice accent to my gardens and in general, I'm kind of bored
with the cosmos flower and after they flower they get all spindly and
ugly looking. Many times patience pays off and its nice to have things
still going when fall weather arrives. My latest bloomer is Pineapple
sage and if the weather cooperates, that won't bloom till November. If
the weather doesn't cooperate it never blooms at all and I just grew a
huge green bush all year. No big deal though. IMHO, green and big is
good too.