Old 20-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Jenny

Default Non-flowering Cosmos

A certain number of the yellow cosmos I plant come up with huge shaggy
leaves and thick stems but never produce a single flower. This is true
of those I purchase in sets and those I plant from seed.

Last year I left them in assuming they'd eventually bloom, but they
didn't. This year I yanked them.

What's the explanation?
--Jenny

http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/ Type 2 Diabetes info
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/ Low Carb info
Old 21-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Cereus-validus.......

I would imagine you yanked them because you are impatient and impetuous and
you always expect instant gratification!!!

Try taking it easy and don't give yourself a stroke!!

Old 21-08-2005, 04:02 AM
DrLith

Jenny wrote:
A certain number of the yellow cosmos I plant come up with huge shaggy
leaves and thick stems but never produce a single flower. This is true
of those I purchase in sets and those I plant from seed.

Last year I left them in assuming they'd eventually bloom, but they
didn't. This year I yanked them.

What's the explanation?
--Jenny

http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/ Type 2 Diabetes info
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/ Low Carb info

I've got Cosmos sulphureus "Bright Lights" in several spots with a
couple of ragweed plants growing up among them, which I only just
recently noticed when they outstripped the cosmos in height while
failing to produce any flowers. The foliage is pretty similar--are you
sure it's all cosmos you're looking at?
Old 21-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Jenny

DrLith wrote:

I've got Cosmos sulphureus "Bright Lights" in several spots with a
couple of ragweed plants growing up among them, which I only just
recently noticed when they outstripped the cosmos in height while
failing to produce any flowers. The foliage is pretty similar--are you
sure it's all cosmos you're looking at?

Mine are also Bright Lights and yes, they do look a lot like Ragweed,
though the seedlings are subtly different.

When I was young I had an extreme allergy to ragweed that would cause my
windpipe to close if I were in a field of it. So I am pretty good at
identifying it and I pluck out the seedlings I find in my yard as soon
as I see them.

But beyond that, last year I left the one non-flowering cosmos that I
had bought at a nursery until near frost and it not only didn't put out
cosmos flowers, it also did not grow the characteristic ragweed flower.
So I'm pretty certain it wasn't ragweed.

It's not a big issue, between the ones I planted and the volunteers from
the previous year, I'm all set for flowering cosmos. I was just curious
what might be going on.

Old 22-08-2005, 08:16 AM
presley

I get a lot of self-seeding cosmos, and some started to bloom around July
1 - others have yet to bloom - in many cases, the plants are within 2-3
feet of the others in nearly identical soil/water conditions. I have to
assume that there are genetic factors involved as well as the usual
suspects - light and/or heat triggers.

Old 24-08-2005, 05:40 AM
Suzy O

The first thought that comes to mind is whether they get at least 6 hours of
sun/day. But you probably already considered that factor.

Suzy O

Old 27-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Storm

The same happened to me this year. I raised about 20 cosmos from seed,
and maybe two or three did not bloom at all, but where becoming larger
than the others (thicker stems and much taller). They were grown
besides flowering cosmos, so probably a genetic thing.

Good to hear I not the only person with these mutants in my garden. :-)

Cheers,

-- Storm

Old 27-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Registered User

Location: sarf west London

our cosmos, raised from seed, have been particularly poor this year. They go in the front garden in full sun (when it's out..!!) However this year the show has been mostly flowerless.