Old 28-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Ray

Phalaenopsis are monopodial plants, so yours is simply forming a new growth
at it's base - another plant. The two plants will work together to stay
strong and healthy. Flower spike formation is likely to occur from a
similar point on the plant, possibly just a bit higher up on the structure,
and will often occur several weeks after the plant has seen a 10°-15°
day/night temperature drop for a week or so, most often happening with
natural weather variation in the autumn, here in the northern hemisphere.

Dendrobiums are sympodial plants, so new growths form along a rhizome. In
the case of dens, that rhizome can be VERY short, so it looks like the plant
is growing from the base of the other. The "colony" of plants will also
continue to share water and nutrition. As to where and when they flower,
that depends a lot on what kind of dendrobium it is. I only have a handful
of species, and some flower from apical spikes (top of the cane), while
others from inflorescences along the cane.

"Anthona" wrote in message
Like I said in a previous post, both are showing new growth signs at the
bases of each plant. My puzzlement is..is that where new flowers would
emerge? I kind of doubt that. Actually what purpose do those base leaves
serve other than filling a bare potted plant base? When or if and where
would the new flower bud appear, if at all? Thanks