Old 28-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Anthona

Default Phal & Dend new growth

Like I said in a previous post, both are showing new growth signs at the
bases of each plant. My puzzlement is..is that where new flowers would
emerge? I kind of doubt that. Actually what purpose do those base leaves
serve other than filling a bare potted plant base? When or if and where
would the new flower bud appear, if at all? Thanks

Old 28-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Ray

Phalaenopsis are monopodial plants, so yours is simply forming a new growth
at it's base - another plant. The two plants will work together to stay
strong and healthy. Flower spike formation is likely to occur from a
similar point on the plant, possibly just a bit higher up on the structure,
and will often occur several weeks after the plant has seen a 10°-15°
day/night temperature drop for a week or so, most often happening with
natural weather variation in the autumn, here in the northern hemisphere.

Dendrobiums are sympodial plants, so new growths form along a rhizome. In
the case of dens, that rhizome can be VERY short, so it looks like the plant
is growing from the base of the other. The "colony" of plants will also
continue to share water and nutrition. As to where and when they flower,
that depends a lot on what kind of dendrobium it is. I only have a handful
of species, and some flower from apical spikes (top of the cane), while
others from inflorescences along the cane.

Old 28-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Niek Hanckmann

Hello Anthona,

On a phal the new groth (or better said the new leave) will grow out of
the top of the plant. The flowerstalk comes from between the lower
leaves, exactly above the main rib of the leave. If it is not exactly
above the main rib, then it is most likely an aerial root which isn't a
bad sign as well!

On dendrobiums the new growth (called a bulb or stem) is normally
growing from the base of last years growth. Flowers are to be expected
from the upper third part of the stem, or in some types even on top of
it. Dendrobiums tend to make side shoots in stead of flowers. Especially
when you are spoiling the plant with water, warmth and fertilzer. It
won't harm your plant, but it gets a bit untidy and it won't flower.
Best thing to do: Let the new stem grow until it is at least as high as
the former one (or until it stops growing). Then give it a rest period
until the buds are clearly showing. Then start watering carefully! You
can mist the plants once in a while to prevent the stems from shriveling.

Both the phaleanopsis as the dendrobiums like a slight fall in
temperature over 4 to 6 weeks (about 5 C down, but still at least 14 C)
to induce flowering. But don't do that while they are still growing a
new leave or a new stem! There are many dendrobiums that even need lower
temperatures during their rest period, but it is unlikely you bought
them at a local florist.

Grtz. Niek

Anthona schreef:
Like I said in a previous post, both are showing new growth signs at the
bases of each plant. My puzzlement is..is that where new flowers would
emerge? I kind of doubt that. Actually what purpose do those base leaves
serve other than filling a bare potted plant base? When or if and where
would the new flower bud appear, if at all? Thanks

dend stardust/phrag besseae alice83 Orchids 4 15-01-2004 08:19 PM
come on- bloom, will ya'? phal's and dend's.... Kevin Orchids 12 21-09-2003 03:22 AM
Dend kiekie gal Orchids 1 01-07-2003 11:34 PM
Dend kiekie gal Orchids 0 29-06-2003 06:32 AM
Dend. anosmum and superbum ?? Damien Schaeffer Orchids 4 30-01-2003 05:07 PM