Old 30-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Edwin Spector

Sam,

the people who tell you that the Moon's phase influences plants (or women's
cycles, etc) are deluded. Here's a simple question:

How frequently do we have high tides? Is it...
1.) Every 29-ish days
or
2.) Twice a day? (Ok, in most places on Earth)

Yes, the Moon is orbiting the Earth, but we are spinning under it. Then, listen
to the garbage merchants who explain earnestly that "the Moon affects tides, and
plants and people must be affected because we are made of water." Utter blx.

I haven't yet heard anyone expounding theories of why we must plant at high tide.

So, what does vary over the Moon's phase? Well, there's the obvious variation in
moonlight. From memory, the full Moon is about a millonth of the Sun's
brightness. Anyway, your seed potatoes won't know the difference from 4" under
the ground. There'll also be a weensy gravitational effect since the Moon's
orbit isn't perfectly circular, so its distance to us varies by a tad.

Sam, save your worries and your money. Get your spuds in when it suits you.

Best wishes
Edwin
Bath, UK.
sam wrote:
Does any have experience of planting according the moon phase?I shall be
planting second cropping early potatoes soon,and I have read that the
phases of the moon can influence the crop.