Old 30-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Emery Davis

On 30 Aug 2005 05:23:55 -0700, "tomkanpa" said:

] What would cause the red leaves of a Japanese Maple to turn green?
] Is this a permanent change in color??
]

I assume you are talking about an A. palmatum cultivar.

The different cultivars behave quite differently in terms of color.
Did you first see it this spring, with bright red foliage? Cultivars
like Chishio and Seigen are bright read for a while after leaf
burst before fading to green. As "Vox" points out some cultivars
green in direct sun; I have a Shojo that does this. Others,
like Chitoseyama, do the opposite: fully shaded leaves turn
a deep green, while those in full sun retain good red color.

HTH

-E
--
Emery Davis